Re: [XP] Continuous Change

  • glbrown@inebraska.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2004
      I think about selling XP and XP ideas a lot (mostly because I am trying to build
      an XP consulting business). I have had some success, but not nearly enough to
      cover expenses. I think that I am starting to understand where the resistance
      is coming from, but I am far from finding the solution.

      I think that most software development organizations believe that they are doing
      the best they can, given their current circumstances. The leaders of those
      organizations have often invested years in defining, implementing, and
      improving their development processes. They have led many projects that were
      perceived as successful, even though they were buggy, late, over budget, or
      missing important features. I think that many of them know that they could
      improve, but there are many obstacles to overcome. Changing individuals is
      hard. Changing organizations is exponentially harder.

      My approach has been to introduce TDD to individuals and small groups. I avoid
      talking about XP, because it seems to scare people and turn them off almost
      immediately. I believe that if individual programmers try TDD for long enough
      to get good at it, they will be receptive to other XP/Agile ideas. It hasn't
      happened for me, yet.

      I am working to sell TDD training that includes post-training mentoring. I know
      that if they are going to achieve success with TDD, they have to do it,
      especially when it seems hard or slow. I have been able to sell some training
      classes, but not the mentoring, even when I offer to do it for free. Why? I
      don't know. We do tend to be rugged individualists! 8^)

      GB.