Re: [XP] Why NOT XP?

  • Luiz Esmiralha
    Message 1 of 102 , Nov 3, 2004
      Here in Brazil, we face the same "content crisis". There aren´t enough
      "good" developers for every project. By "good", I mean developers with
      an inquisitive, exploratory persona and a natural will to face
      challenges.
      I guess it has to do with our educational system and the banalization
      of our craft. The idea of a Software Factory has done much damage to
      the image of IT in general. My first employer had this vision of how
      software development: the sausage fatory. You put a pig on one side
      and sausages come out on the other. Depressing to say the least. After
      all, who wants to work in a sausage factory?
      I even toyed with the idea of writing an article titled: "Software
      Factories Considered Harmful" but couldn´t go past the catchy title.

      Luiz Esmiralha
      www.innovando.com.br
      It doesn't mean a thing, if it ain't extreme.

      On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 07:34:06 -0500, Ron Jeffries
      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Why do you continually find yourself working with teams whose abilities and
      > understanding you're not sure of?
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting. --Karl Wallenda
    • Erik Meade
      Message 102 of 102 , Dec 27, 2004
        Hey Kent, long time no see ;)

        > It *is* easier to tell someone else what to do than to do it yourself.
        > However, doing the behavior myself it is a more effective way to influence
        > others. Part of modeling is practicing the behavior yourself. Part of it is
        > waiting for the teachable moment, where someone else is ready to learn
        > something.

        I find that if it isn't a teachable moment, it would be easier to do it
        myself. I usually still tell them anyway, and often I try to remove a
        barrier or two, but when you have too much to do, something has to give.
        At least if you are pair programming you can show them.

        Erik Meade