Re: [XP] Why NOT XP?

  • Dakshinamurthy Karra
    Message 1 of 102 , Nov 2, 2004
      On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:08:14 -0400, Ron Jeffries
      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > But perhaps you are asking something like "What technical obstacles get in
      > the way of the practices," rather than "What stops you entirely from doing
      > XP." Is that the case? Are you asking what kinds of things interfere rather
      > than what are reasons that ultimately cause you not to do XP? Here's an
      > example one might write about obstacles:
      I dont think I can put it any better than this. Thanks.

      > You might think that you can't practice TDD if you are using languages like
      > ASP or HTML that aren't like ordinary executable languages. However, you
      > can use executable languages to test these languages, or even mechanically
      > inspect the output text in the case of HTML.

      Do we need any cost-benifit analysis in this case. Specifically for
      output that is renedered on screen, is it better to ignore TDD and
      rely more and heavily on test automation, even when TDD is possible,
      We have two major projects one using JFCUnit to write UTs for GUI and
      another doesn't test at the UI level. When I look at the bug reports
      from these projects, what strikes me is that at the GUI level there
      are not many bugs reported on both the projects. We automate the
      customer tests using Marathon (it is a Java/Swing app on the client
      side) and It is my belief that most of the bugs are being captured at
      that level and fed back to the development teams. What are other's
      experiences with these cases? What do others suggest?

      > Is that the sort of thing you had in mind?
      Yes. Thanks again.

      This is what I have in mind - as far as I get opinions on these issues
      I dont want to say "any XP practice is technically in-feasible" ;-)

      Can you throw some light on similar veins on other practices also?

      KD
      --
      Dakshinamurthy Karra
      CTO, Subex Systems Ltd.(http://www.subexsystems.com)
      Message 102 of 102 , Dec 27, 2004
        Hey Kent, long time no see ;)

        > It *is* easier to tell someone else what to do than to do it yourself.
        > However, doing the behavior myself it is a more effective way to influence
        > others. Part of modeling is practicing the behavior yourself. Part of it is
        > waiting for the teachable moment, where someone else is ready to learn
        > something.

        I find that if it isn't a teachable moment, it would be easier to do it
        myself. I usually still tell them anyway, and often I try to remove a
        barrier or two, but when you have too much to do, something has to give.
        At least if you are pair programming you can show them.

        Erik Meade