Re: [XP] write customer tests first

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 1, 2004
      J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

      >One strong downside to this approach is a tendency for some people to
      >confuse the goals of Customer Tests with Programmer Tests. Programmer
      >Tests are meant mostly to test individual objects against collaborating
      >interfaces.

      Is that a downside? Or is it like saying that one strong downside of
      unit tests (a.k.a. Programmer tests) is that people tend to use them
      like storytests (a.k.a. Customer tests) when they just don't know
      better?

      >Boundary conditions, exceptional conditions, these should
      >all be covered with Programmer Tests. Customer Tests are meant to be
      >examples of how the features will be used and should behave, and so
      >perhaps are not the best vehicle for doing all kinds of testing
      >(boundary conditions, exceptional conditions, load, performance,
      >security).

      Isn't that too strict? In practice, I see more of a mix. For example,
      some boundary conditions help define essential boundaries of a story and
      clarify those boundaries for people within a project community. Other
      boundary conditions aren't useful to expose in storytests, so unit tests
      provide a better place to express them.

      >If one writes the Customer Tests first and stops there, one
      >runs the risk of essentially writing highly-detailed end-to-end tests,
      >which suffer from the combinatoric explosion problem that Programmer
      >Testing techniques like interface richness and test isolation are
      >designed to avoid.

      Can you give an example?

      >Aside from that, I haven't seen serious problems with writing Customer
      >Tests first.

      What problems have you run into when you haven't written them first?

      best
      jk
    • Amir Kolsky
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 6, 2004