Re: [XP] Why NOT XP?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 102 , Nov 1, 2004
      Dakshinamurthy Karra wrote:
      > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:46:51 -0400, J. B. Rainsberger
      > <jbrains@...> wrote:
      >
      >>I found that quite clear.
      >
      > Looks like more of an expectation-gap. See my reply to Ron's mail.

      It looks like you were expecting an answer other than "I see no problem
      here." :) What if that's really the answer?

      >>The most common technical hurdle is the ability to deliver a product
      >>incrementally. If you cannot figure out how to deliver your product
      >>incrementally without exorbitant cost -- either in materials or
      >>resources -- then you will find XP difficult to do "by the book".
      >
      > What do we do in this case? Do we have examples of such cases? In each
      > case can we have a compensatory-practice that can be used?

      The only examples I have ever heard of pertain to working with hardware
      construction (airplanes, for example), rather than software
      construction. Software, being soft, admits to incremental delivery, as
      long as we're able to start from scratch. Even if we can't, the
      Strangler Application pattern is a way to deliver a greenfield
      replacement of a legacy application in incremental fashion. One of the
      things about software is that we can always deliver it incrementally.

      The way I see it, the big question is whether the customer is willing to
      take their software in increments. If not, then we lose much of the
      value of incremental delivery, that being feedback from real users. I
      have seen cases where the customer is unwilling to take their software
      in increments, but not where we weren't able to deliver it incrementally
      in a useful way. Of course, this issue is a social one, and not a
      technical one.
      --
      J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger
      Diaspar Software Services
      Message 102 of 102 , Dec 27, 2004
        Hey Kent, long time no see ;)

        > It *is* easier to tell someone else what to do than to do it yourself.
        > However, doing the behavior myself it is a more effective way to influence
        > others. Part of modeling is practicing the behavior yourself. Part of it is
        > waiting for the teachable moment, where someone else is ready to learn
        > something.

        I find that if it isn't a teachable moment, it would be easier to do it
        myself. I usually still tell them anyway, and often I try to remove a
        barrier or two, but when you have too much to do, something has to give.
        At least if you are pair programming you can show them.

        Erik Meade