Re: [XP] write customer tests first

    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 1, 2004
      On Monday, November 1, 2004, at 2:40:31 AM, maps@... wrote:

      > I'd be interested in the advantages (and maybe disadvantages) you see in codinging the acceptance tests
      > first. Coding unit tests first (TDD) is very good documented in the
      > different XP-books but I can find nearly
      > nothing about test first and acceptance tests.

      This should make for an interesting discussion.

      I feel strongly that I need the acceptance tests before I'm going to be
      done programming: I want to run them to be sure that I've done what was
      asked.

      I get some real value from knowing before I start what a few of them will
      be: it helps me shape my design and programming.

      I do not generally get value from making one acceptance test work, then
      another, then another, in the way that I do with unit tests. But this might
      be a function of the particular tools I use, and of the fact that, working
      mostly alone, I'd have to write the tests myself and it is usually easier
      to write unit tests with the same "meaning". If the acceptance tests were
      being fed to me, I might use them in the same kind of guiding way that I
      use TDD unit tests now.

      HOWEVER: when I do TDD, the test guides the code, and the code guides the
      next test. Acceptance tests are kind of given from the outside. I could
      /select/ the next test to do from the list, but I can't /create/ the next
      test in the same way that I do with unit tests. That makes me suspect that
      the inherent rhythm of customer-provided acceptance tests is always going
      to be different from that of TDD with unit tests.

      Let's see who else chimes in ...

      It is not the strongest of the species that survive, not the most intelligent,
      but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
    • Amir Kolsky
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 6, 2004
        Yup

        Amir Kolsky