RE: how do you handle differing estimates by team members? [Was]: [XP] More Chal

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 161 , Oct 31, 2004
      Yes, you trust your team. But, you don't trust blindly. You work based
      on faith until you acquire experience. You build trust based on
      experience. Accountability is one of the most effective means to this
      end.

      Accountability is a form of trustworthiness. If I am willing to be
      accountable for my use of family money, then my spouse can trust me to
      use it wisely. She needn't spend time worrying about what I'm doing with
      our money. If I constantly come back with, "I took out $200 on Wednesday
      and it's just gone. I don't know what I spent it on." then she shouldn't
      trust me to spend our money wisely.

      You can't control whether someone trusts you, but you can control
      whether you are trustworthy. Accountability is one way to demonstrate
      trustworthiness.

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

    • Kay Pentecost
      Message 161 of 161 , Nov 11 4:53 PM
        Hey...

        There should be a level -5 for people who have heard of it, but refuse to
        try it, and are intent on ridiculing it...

        Kay