Re: [XP] Why NOT XP?

  • Dakshinamurthy Karra
    Message 1 of 102 , Oct 29, 2004
      On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:46:51 -0400, J. B. Rainsberger
      <jbrains@...> wrote:
      > I found that quite clear.

      Looks like more of an expectation-gap. See my reply to Ron's mail.

      > Well, you didn't ask me specifically, but before I answer, I need more
      > information from you: what falls under the category of 'social aspects'?
      > Does Pathological Politics fall under that category? The reason I ask is
      > that from stories I've been told and what I've managed to observe for
      > myself, Pathological Politics is the number 1 killer of any form of
      > intensely collaborative way of delivering software, XP included.

      [snip]
      I am considering any problems arising out of interations (or lack
      there of) between two people as social aspects. I am just looking at
      only technical aspects.

      > The most common technical hurdle is the ability to deliver a product
      > incrementally. If you cannot figure out how to deliver your product
      > incrementally without exorbitant cost -- either in materials or
      > resources -- then you will find XP difficult to do "by the book".

      What do we do in this case? Do we have examples of such cases? In each
      case can we have a compensatory-practice that can be used?

      KD

      --
      Dakshinamurthy Karra
      CTO, Subex Systems Ltd.(http://www.subexsystems.com)
      Message 102 of 102 , Dec 27, 2004
        Hey Kent, long time no see ;)

        > It *is* easier to tell someone else what to do than to do it yourself.
        > However, doing the behavior myself it is a more effective way to influence
        > others. Part of modeling is practicing the behavior yourself. Part of it is
        > waiting for the teachable moment, where someone else is ready to learn
        > something.

        I find that if it isn't a teachable moment, it would be easier to do it
        myself. I usually still tell them anyway, and often I try to remove a
        barrier or two, but when you have too much to do, something has to give.
        At least if you are pair programming you can show them.

        Erik Meade