Impressing Gold Owners

  • Carl Schweppe
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2004
      Doing it once is amazing.

      Doing it again (and again, and again) is amazing, too.

      Consider this: People have been building houses for 5000 years. Some
      houses are built well and on time, some are built less well and more or
      less near on time.

      If you can deliver every project on time, on budget... that's amazing in
      itself. And not easy, not matter what the process used.

      On Friday, October 15, 2004, at 9:15:59 PM, Dave Rooney wrote:

      > An interesting thing that jumped into my head after our boss said that
      > we hadn't "amazed" the Gold Owner lately was the "what's next"
      syndrome.
      > Once we have introduced discipline where there was chaos and agility
      > where there was process-based rigidity, what do we do for an encore.
      > People have become accustomed to either getting software that's crap
      (in
      > a relative sense to other products), or it's horribly late and over
      > budget. Let's assume for a moment that XP or agile development in
      > general fixes that. Then what? What do we do to "amaze" the Gold
      > Owners of the world?

      I'm not convinced that this is a valid goal. Shipping on time on budget
      with software fit to serve seems amazing enough, compared to what's
      going
      on out there.

      I'm giving the best advice I have. You get to decide whether it's true
      for you.