Re: [XP] Software Specification - for the maintenance phase

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2004
      On Thursday, October 14, 2004, at 3:25:39 AM, nwaston2003 wrote:

      > Perhaps I have not read enough of the XP literature! I suspect your
      > reply will be to only provide what the customers are asking for - if
      > they do not ask for maintenance type documentation and have not
      > provided functional specification information via user stories then
      > its probably not needed. Anyway, I would be grateful to hear your
      > suggestions.

      I would think it would depend. It would seem to me that most products that
      are released have a manual or similar documentation. With that in hand, it
      would not seem particularly useful to have a separate functional
      specification.

      It would seem to me that a team building a product incrementally does not
      need a functional specification document, since they have individual
      stories or feature definitions from which they work, including customer
      acceptance tests that describe the requirements precisely.

      If a new team is going to take over maintenance (which I would not
      generally recommend, as experience with the code trumps any conceivable
      code quality or documentation), then there might need to be some judicious
      amount of external documentation, a few diagrams, or something.

      In general ... I would not think there'd be a general answer. I'd think
      that the people building the product should use judgment in the light of
      experience to decide what to write down, and when.

      Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
      pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
      -- Samuel Johnson