RE: [XP] Re: Customer Visibility of Duplication & Bad Code -- and how to solve it

  • Kay Pentecost
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2004
      Hey, Jeff,

      They look for the complicated, expensive, "controling" solution. "Costs are
      out of control. We'll control them by planning perfectly up front."

      I gave the new gunfighter <sad grin> a copy of the slides from Craig
      Larman's awesome talk at XPAU 2004. She gave it back the next day with a
      note that said "Wait til I start talking about CMM to you." No questions.
      How could someone read soemthing like that and not even have one question??

      A week before that, she had announced to me that "Our customers won't let us
      do iterative development. They don't want a release every two weeks." I
      took a big breath and refrained from saying "Iteration is not the same as
      release." I *did* say "Well, we're pretty much already doing iterative
      development." which may *not* have been a wise choice, judging from the
      reaction later.

      <grin>

      > But... How would your "average Joe" businessman know that our
      > approach, XP, is more effective? And what would make them think
      > that their organization is willing, or even able, to adopt it?

      I didn't even *try* to convince the business heads or the owner. My plan
      was to do the best work I could, including test-driven development wherever
      I could while covertly promoting the value of "good-code" -- I thought that
      my defect rates would prove my point, and I was working toward being more
      productive than anyone...

      I didn't get there. Their apps are huge and I wasn't learning all the new
      stuff fast enough. They had me add a new form to an existing *big* app,
      using several technologies I wasn't familiar with, plus a new data model and
      a new "object" model, and gave me 24 hours to do it... (2 days for learning
      what was necessary. They didn't tell me about the "estimate" until I'd
      passed it... <grin>

      I did do TDD on what I got to do fresh. My defect rate, was, overall,
      better than it had been in previous work (before I starting learning XP or
      TDD)

      More questions in another post, okay?

      Kay