Re: [XP] XP-friendly Office Space?

  • Zhon Johansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
      Steven J. Owens wrote:

      > If I recall correctly, the proper XP way is one big room, but is
      >that "the best" or simply "the best we can reasonably get"?

      IMO one big room is really the best. In the past five years, we
      experimented with four different XP Spaces; including 1) cubical pairing
      followed by 2) developer initiated cubical wall removal with tables
      stolen from the break room (see "Office Space"). Next management
      provide us a 3) warehouse like environment with two teams spaced in
      opposite ends of a 50' x 30' room (at that time we were sharing cubes
      because of construction). Then management built a 4) beautifully walled
      off workspace with tables, white boarded walls and two doors (we fondly
      called the War Room). Just outside two huddle rooms were used for
      private interviews, personal calls, loud 3-5 person meeting and visiting
      dignitaries' private office. Further away our cubicals contained books,
      emails and family albums (but not a place where the family could contact
      us).

      Each of the four (no three) options has their pros and cons (cube
      pairing sucks). The open space inside the cubes let both XP lovers and
      XP haters work closely together without friction. On the other hand we
      were not as close a team as the last two arrangements. Finally, the War
      Room and warehouse felt the same; still I liked the warehouse better; I
      loved the huddle rooms we got with the War Room. The fixed walls of the
      War Room kept the open workspace intact when XP was brutally removed by
      unenlightened, new management.

      > Or maybe it's just that the other developers have really loud
      >voices :-).

      Oddly enough, it turned out, only one person out fifty ever complained
      about the noise in the War Room (he was one of the XP haters). After
      the first few weeks, the noise was part of a good working space (quiet
      was a warning sigh of impending doom). Noise related to work was very
      good; unrelated noise was a distraction.

      Zhon Johansen
      Subversive XPer