Re: [XP] Re: How bad is breaking the build?

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 201 , Oct 2, 2004
      On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:38:44 -0400, Steve Berczuk
      <steve.berczuk@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:44:55 -0700, Curtis Cooley
      > <curtis.cooley@...> wrote:
      >

      > > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:03:48 -0400, William Wake <william.wake@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > With some sort of random distribution, as opposed to just before lunch
      > > > and just before the end of the day?
      > > >

      > > Yes.
      > Is that "real" or is there more integration towards the end of the day?

      YMMV, but I integrate whenever I have clean code. Sometimes that's
      every green bar (cvs + eclipse integrations < 1 minute) or it may be
      when a task is completed.

      I don't like to integrate just before lunch or just before going home
      because Murphy suggests that may be when things get harry. Then I miss
      lunch or am late for dinner and that can bring an unnecessary downer
      to my day.

      Seem to me that integrating just because it's lunch time or end of day
      is an artificial integration. "I'm not integrating because my code is
      green or because I feel I'm ready, I'm integrating because the clock
      on the walls tells me to."

      I've never measured the distribution of integrations throughout the
      day, but I'm sure the SCM system could tell you if anybody really
      wanted to know.

      My post may have seemed like I was supporting token usage, but those
      numbers could be used to justify non-token usage. If the chance of
      collision is 1 in 7 on top of the chance that a collision will break
      anything, then perhaps you don't need a token.
      --
      Curtis Cooley
      curtis.cooley@...
      Message 201 of 201 , Oct 17, 2004
        Earlier, I wrote:

        > One important principle I've learned is that teaching and
        > coaching require permission of the person being taught or
        > coached.

        I've written a short blog article about this:
        http://www.dhemery.com/cwd/2004/10/permission.html

        Dale

        --
        Dale Emery, Consultant
        Collaborative Leadership for Software People

        More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a
        crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness.
        The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom
        to choose correctly. --Woody Allen