Re: [XP] Re: How bad is breaking the build?

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 201 , Oct 1, 2004
      On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:54:29 -0400, Steve Berczuk
      <steve.berczuk@...> wrote:
      > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:31:10 -0500, Ron Jeffries
      > <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > > On Thursday, September 30, 2004, at 9:00:52 AM, Steve Berczuk wrote:
      >

      > > > Integration tokens can slow down a team, but what I really want to
      > > > know is what you mean by "additional" in "additional Integration
      > > > Build?
      > >
      > > I build a million times a day on my machine. When my code is ready to
      > > release, a hundred thousand times a day, I grab the token and run the
      > > build. Collisions impossible. If builds take ages, I'd fix that rather than
      > > run multi-developer builds with e.g. Cruise Control. YMMV.
      >
      > Ah, but how often do you check in? ie, do you need the integration
      > token before you do your final "private build" before checkin, and
      > then do the integration build.
      > In other words, do you need the token to check code in? and does an
      > integration build run on every checkin?
      >
      > The problem that I have seen with integration tokens that, even if the
      > pre-checkin integrate/build/test cycle is quick, there can be a queue,
      > which means that people have to wait a while before checking in, thus
      > interrupting their flow...
      >
      > I find that it works well to have a natural
      > code
      > test
      > update
      > build
      > checkin when task is done,
      > repeat
      >
      > cycle works well, but if there are too many pauses in there it becomes
      > too much effort to check in in small increments.
      >
      > Also, I've rarely seen serious collisions when we did NOT use
      > integration tokens, so...
      > as Ron said, YMMV.

      Our current integration process takes ~5 minutes start to finish. We
      do not have problems waiting for the token, so we use one. But we only
      have two developers working. If we had ten developers, then the
      longest the queue could get is 25 minutes in the worst case (5 pairs
      all waiting). If that happened often enough to be a problem, then we'd
      talk about not using the token and dealing with collisions.
      --
      Curtis Cooley
      curtis.cooley@...
      Message 201 of 201 , Oct 17, 2004
        Earlier, I wrote:

        > One important principle I've learned is that teaching and
        > coaching require permission of the person being taught or
        > coached.

        I've written a short blog article about this:
        http://www.dhemery.com/cwd/2004/10/permission.html

        Dale

        --
        Dale Emery, Consultant
        Collaborative Leadership for Software People

        More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a
        crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness.
        The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom
        to choose correctly. --Woody Allen