Re: [XP] Re: How bad is breaking the build?

  • Steve Berczuk
    Message 1 of 201 , Sep 30, 2004
      On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:18:13 -0500, Ron Jeffries
      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > On Wednesday, September 29, 2004, at 2:41:35 PM, Steve Berczuk wrote:
      >
      > > That implies using a semaphore or integration token. While this would
      > > solve the problem, it can slow things down with little obvious
      > > benefit. In general, I would rather allow people to check in code when
      > > each person is ready and catch "phase shift errors" in the integration
      > > build. The risk of someone actually breaking the build is usually
      > > small. If it happens one in a while, then your process works and finds
      > > the problem.
      > > There are a couple of stories in the SCM Patterns book about this sort of issue.
      >
      > If we do it with the token, we don't need an additional integration build.

      Please explain this. The Integration Build is the build that happens
      post check-in on a central machine... ie, using Cruise Control, etc.
      As opposed to the developer build, which we call a Private System
      Build in the SCM Patterns book.

      Integration tokens can slow down a team, but what I really want to
      know is what you mean by "additional" in "additional Integration
      Build?

      -Steve
      --
      Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
      SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
      Message 201 of 201 , Oct 17, 2004
        Earlier, I wrote:

        > One important principle I've learned is that teaching and
        > coaching require permission of the person being taught or
        > coached.

        I've written a short blog article about this:
        http://www.dhemery.com/cwd/2004/10/permission.html

        Dale

        --
        Dale Emery, Consultant
        Collaborative Leadership for Software People

        More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a
        crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness.
        The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom
        to choose correctly. --Woody Allen