RE: [XP] Distributing Unit Tests

  • Keith Nicholas
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2004
      I started down this path with Nunit, however...Too many other pressures
      put a death to this project.

      As far as I know there is no tool that does this... I was envisaging
      something along the lines of incredibuild

      Regards,

      Keith

    • Amir Kolsky

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
          On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:32:07 +0200, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
          > Before we set off to write a tool to distribute unit tests (we have a LOT of
          > tests we want to run), it seems like a good idea to ask the group:
          > "Is there a tool to distribute unit tests?"
          >
          > .Net, we use csUnit but would consider a switch (egad) to NUnit if the
          > distribution tool exists...
          >
          > I asked over on testdrivendevelopment but I got no reply there...
          >
          > We pretty much know what we need, so we can roll our own - but we have the
          > INIH syndrom :-)

          I'm not sure how complicated your problem is, but did you look at
          using ant tasks like rexec (for distributing on multiple machines) and
          parallel (to run in different threads). Or did you need more
          automation?

          -Steve

          --
          Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
          SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
            Here is what I plan on doing:

            Test unitss are quadruples (working directory, assembly, class, method) that
            are dispatched by the main test routine.

            A test executor picks up a test unit, sets the working directory, picks up
            the assembly, takes the class and executes the method. It then returns the
            result to the executor (10 bonus points to the first one to name the obvious
            reason why this is so).

            Basically this means that the regular synchronous test execution pattern it
            turned into an asynchronous test execution pattern.

            This is the first version. The next version will take care of tests getting
            lost and other sundries.

            We'll start locally and then turn it over to sourceforge...

            Amir Kolsky
            XP& Software

            ]<kolsky@...> wrote:
            ]> Before we set off to write a tool to distribute unit tests
            ](we have a
            ]> LOT of tests we want to run), it seems like a good idea to
            ]ask the group:
            ]> "Is there a tool to distribute unit tests?"
            ]>
            ]
            ]I'm not sure how complicated your problem is, but did you look
            ]at using ant tasks like rexec (for distributing on multiple
            ]machines) and parallel (to run in different threads). Or did
            ]you need more automation?
            ]
            ]-Steve
            ]
            ]
            ]--
            ]Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
            ]SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
            ] www.scmpatterns.com
            ]
            ]
            ]
            ]To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
            ]
            ]ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
            ]Yahoo! Groups Links
            ]
            ]
            ]
            ]
            ]
            ]
          • Pit Capitain
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
              Amir Kolsky schrieb:

              > Before we set off to write a tool to distribute unit tests (we have a LOT of
              > tests we want to run), it seems like a good idea to ask the group:
              > "Is there a tool to distribute unit tests?"
              >
              > .Net, we use csUnit but would consider a switch (egad) to NUnit if the
              > distribution tool exists...

              If you would consider a switch to Java, you could look at:

              http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0406&L=jini-users&P=R14932&I=-3

              Regards,
              Pit