Re: [XP] Collective estimation? - Communication helpers

  • Victor
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2004
      Here is something from a different area that may be useful to improve
      communication.

      I like acting, and there is a new group in town: CRC (Cold Reading Club).
      People select plays unfamiliar to most of us, and readers are selected
      either because they volunteer or arbitrarily and start reading the various
      roles.

      Yesterday I went for the first time. We were 11 people, many didn't know
      the rest. So, we played an improvisational game to get acquainted.
      Somebody played the director. A group of four or five were the "writers".
      Each writer chose a style, romantic, sci-fi, horror, adventure, etc. The
      director would arbitrarily point at one of the writers and the writer would
      have to invent an initial story in her style. Then, at an arbitrary time,
      the director would point at somebody else and the new person had to continue
      the story in his own style.

      Afterwards, a couple of guys wanted to sing. Later, we did the cold
      readings. At the end of the evening we were all friends and could talk
      about everything.

      Communication is fostered in an informal, friendly, non-punishing
      environment. Maybe an informal evening with some variation of the
      activities described above could work in most XP, and XP wonna-be
      environments.

      When it works, it can be a powerful motivator.

      Victor