Re: [XP] Re: Slowly but surely... (making progress on an XP project)

  • Mike Reed
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2004
      On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:02:18 -0000, Jeff Grigg <jeffgrigg@...> wrote:
      > --- Mike Reed <paramedicop@g...> wrote:
      > > There's significant pushback against smaller dev cycles,
      > > mostly due to dev being asked to (and accepting responsi-
      > > bility to) code too much in too short a timeframe (being
      > > expected to do the same in shorter cycles), [...]
      >
      > Here's a standard piece of advice for XP projects:
      >
      > "If you find that your iterations are too short to get all the work
      > done that you need to get done in an iteration, then make your
      > iterations shorter."

      <snip>

      > Do one-week iterations. (I know they'll scream. But if at all
      > possible, reduce the iteration length as much as possible -- much
      > further than anyone thinks is possible. ;-)

      GREAT advice. I had this feeling that I needed a more drastic change
      than what I was offering, now I understand why I've had that feeling -
      and more importantly - how I can measure that shorter cycles produce
      better results (compared to our prior waterfall).

      Thanks!

      Mike :)

      PS - They're BUILDING twice a week right now... but we're only putting
      a build into production testing (not just waterfall QA) every two
      weeks. The last dev meeting was kinda rough... the dev manager was
      ALL upset because coders were starting to take the attitude of "it's
      more important to get code out to QA than to get TESTED code out to
      QA." Individual unit tests were, shall we say, /highly stressed./