Re: [good] [XP] Re: Oracle & Ford in need of XP

    Message 1 of 145 , Sep 1, 2004
      On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 7:28:30 AM, Ken Boucher wrote:

      > Earlier this week, a statement was made that XP teams prefer starting
      > over rather than working with legacy code. I don't know if that
      > statement was true, but I know I didn't see anyone challege it. If it
      > is true, than any project involving replacing a legacy app isn't
      > likely to have a ROI until that legacy app can be sunset. At what
      > point does the customer know when that app can be sunset if they
      > don't know more than the next iteration ahead?

      You're describing one way to start over rather than work with legacy code.
      In my experience it's the most difficult and most likely to fail.

      Another way is to replace the legacy functionality bit by bit, deploying
      each bit of replacement as it is complete.

      If I ever have to undertake another legacy replacement, my plan is to find
      a way to approach it in that latter way.

      You don't need to see my identification.
      These aren't the ideas you're looking for. Move along.
    • Randy MacDonald
      Message 145 of 145 , Sep 9, 2004
        Previous experience worked for me.