RE: [XP] Information, Propaganda; Influence, Manipulation.

  • Lior Fridman
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2004
      Well I don't mind telling.

      I myself as you are am very passionate about my work.
      When I think that something should be done one way and not another I
      tend to try my best to convince
      everyone of it. Usually if the other person thinks differently, things
      can get, well lets say loud.
      I myself have no problem with that, and usually the other side is also
      ok. when such a technical meeting is over its over, nothing said in it
      reflect any personal feeling

      For me even, if in such a meeting, someone will say something like "look
      I just think you're a fool and your approach is stupid" its fair enough
      I prefer people to use the harshest term possible.
      This kind of approach however needs some getting used to. And lately I
      forgot that not everyone is as passionate and not everyone understand
      such behavior.
      It got to the point where people were starting to feel uncomfortable
      around me. And felt that they needed to have a serious conversation with
      me. I think that they thought that I was disrespecting and offensive. I
      forgot that sometimes when you voice your opinion about people ideas it
      is can be confused with your opinion on them. And if you're passionate
      enough it is just taken the wrong way.

      The amazing is that since the whole thing blew up my Boss keeps asking
      me why the hell do you take it so personally.
      Its just a job there is no use to get upset about it.
      And basically he is right but I that's the way I am. I care for the
      things I do and it is important to me that they will be done the right
      way (which is of course my way ;) ).

      The morale of this brings me back to your statement that "I treat others
      as if they were the same"
      I think this kind of an approach is common enough. But I have learned
      that its usually not the case
      Most people are not like each other.
      And its usually better to understand that they are different and
      therefore will expect different treatment.

      And BTW I actually have my wife to thank for teaching me this very
      important lesson.

      Lior

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
        Thanks for sharing ...

        On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 1:57:59 AM, Lior Fridman wrote:

        > The amazing is that since the whole thing blew up my Boss keeps asking
        > me why the hell do you take it so personally.
        > Its just a job there is no use to get upset about it.
        > And basically he is right but I that's the way I am. I care for the
        > things I do and it is important to me that they will be done the right
        > way (which is of course my way ;) ).

        Yes. The alternative to caring seems to be "not caring". What I've learned
        is that there's more than one way to influence things. Violence isn't the
        /only/ answer. :)

        And yet, there's this "manipulation" thread going around. If one got really
        nimble at presenting one's ideas in the best way to influence others, one
        might be thought to be even more evil.

        It's a puzzlement.

        > The morale of this brings me back to your statement that "I treat others
        > as if they were the same"
        > I think this kind of an approach is common enough. But I have learned
        > that its usually not the case
        > Most people are not like each other.
        > And its usually better to understand that they are different and
        > therefore will expect different treatment.

        Yes. And yet, we only know what people do, not what they think. Is it
        perhaps even more insulting to tone down our style for the weak and
        not-so-fleet of tongue?

        I do try not to make it personal. I try to edit "you" out of my
        conversation. But relent? There's a move in taiji: Apparent Fall Back.
        That's about where I'm at.

        The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken.
      • Victor
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
          > And BTW I actually have my wife to thank for teaching me this very
          > important lesson.

          Yes, I noticed that frequently wives tend to pick up that role, and the
          husbands that listen are winners. Those that don't listen tend to become
          divorced. :-)

          Victor

          > I myself as you are am very passionate about my work.
          > When I think that something should be done one way and not another I
          > tend to try my best to convince
          > everyone of it. Usually if the other person thinks differently, things
          > can get, well lets say loud.
          > I myself have no problem with that, and usually the other side is also
          > ok. when such a technical meeting is over its over, nothing said in it
          > reflect any personal feeling
          >
          > For me even, if in such a meeting, someone will say something like "look
          > I just think you're a fool and your approach is stupid" its fair enough
          > I prefer people to use the harshest term possible.
          > This kind of approach however needs some getting used to. And lately I
          > forgot that not everyone is as passionate and not everyone understand
          > such behavior.
          > It got to the point where people were starting to feel uncomfortable
          > around me. And felt that they needed to have a serious conversation with
          > me. I think that they thought that I was disrespecting and offensive. I
          > forgot that sometimes when you voice your opinion about people ideas it
          > is can be confused with your opinion on them. And if you're passionate
          > enough it is just taken the wrong way.
          >
          > The amazing is that since the whole thing blew up my Boss keeps asking
          > me why the hell do you take it so personally.
          > Its just a job there is no use to get upset about it.
          > And basically he is right but I that's the way I am. I care for the
          > things I do and it is important to me that they will be done the right
          > way (which is of course my way ;) ).
          >
          > The morale of this brings me back to your statement that "I treat others
          > as if they were the same"
          > I think this kind of an approach is common enough. But I have learned
          > that its usually not the case
          > Most people are not like each other.
          > And its usually better to understand that they are different and
          > therefore will expect different treatment.
          >
          > And BTW I actually have my wife to thank for teaching me this very
          > important lesson.
          >
          > Lior

        • Victor
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
            > 1. I believe that everyone is just as "good" a person as everyone else.

            Because of the Nazi, Al-Qaeda, Taliban, Sudan, Rwanda, Abu Ghareb, the
            Inquisition, and many other sad aspects of the human experience, I would
            change the above statement to something like:

            As a first approximation to a working assumption, I accept the possibility
            that initially everybody has the potential of being as "good" a person as
            everyone else.

            Victor

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
              > > And its usually better to understand that they are different and
              > > therefore will expect different treatment.
              >
              > Yes. And yet, we only know what people do, not what they think. Is it
              > perhaps even more insulting to tone down our style for the weak and
              > not-so-fleet of tongue?

              Actually, "different" doesn't necessarily mean that one is weaker than the
              other. Similarly to the fact that in intergalactic space there is no up or
              down, just different dimensions, many of which may appear to be isotropic at
              first glance, thinking unidimensionaly (weak-strong) tends to limit our
              understanding of the environment in which we live. This affects the way we
              communicate, and our potential for success.

              On the other hand, overanalyzing can also be a debilitating influence. So,
              the art is in finding the right balance. Interestingly enough, what makes
              XP such a powerful methodology is the fact that it gives a practical way to
              approach such a balance: Cooperate, keep it simple, refactor, work
              iteratively, test.

              Victor

              > On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 1:57:59 AM, Lior Fridman wrote:
              >
              > > The amazing is that since the whole thing blew up my Boss keeps asking
              > > me why the hell do you take it so personally.
              > > Its just a job there is no use to get upset about it.
              > > And basically he is right but I that's the way I am. I care for the
              > > things I do and it is important to me that they will be done the right
              > > way (which is of course my way ;) ).
              >
              > Yes. The alternative to caring seems to be "not caring". What I've learned
              > is that there's more than one way to influence things. Violence isn't the
              > /only/ answer. :)
              >
              > And yet, there's this "manipulation" thread going around. If one got
              really
              > nimble at presenting one's ideas in the best way to influence others, one
              > might be thought to be even more evil.
              >
              > It's a puzzlement.
              >
              > > The morale of this brings me back to your statement that "I treat others
              > > as if they were the same"
              > > I think this kind of an approach is common enough. But I have learned
              > > that its usually not the case
              > > Most people are not like each other.
              > > And its usually better to understand that they are different and
              > > therefore will expect different treatment.
              >
              > Yes. And yet, we only know what people do, not what they think. Is it
              > perhaps even more insulting to tone down our style for the weak and
              > not-so-fleet of tongue?
              >
              > I do try not to make it personal. I try to edit "you" out of my
              > conversation. But relent? There's a move in taiji: Apparent Fall Back.
              > That's about where I'm at.
              >
              > Ron Jeffries
              > www.XProgramming.com
              > The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Lior Fridman
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                Ron hi,

                Its not matter of toning down one style.
                Its more of a culture thing. Where I came from the organization culture
                was to shout loud
                and if that didn't work than we just shouted louder.
                No one got offended and since everyone cared everyone felt ok with this.

                When I arrived to this new place people changed but I forgot and kept
                doing the same
                It's not that here people are "weaker" (well some yes but yet again most
                are not) they just wasn't used to the shouting style.
                Unfortonately the damage has been done and it will take a major effort
                to fix it, but hey im trying.

                As you said there are many method of trying to influence other people.
                From my experience the one sure method of convincing someone is to lead
                him all the way until he comes to the required conclusion himself. (and
                its best that he doesn't catch on what you are doing otherwise as you
                said you will be considered evil)

                Its just that each one respond differntly to each method
                And as a rule its not wise to assume that the one that is most affective
                on you is also effective on others.
                It can be a sure way of ticking people off.

                And no I wont stop caring the moment I do that I know its time to look
                for another job.

                Lior

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                  On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 7:31:32 AM, Victor wrote:

                  > On the other hand, overanalyzing can also be a debilitating influence.

                  I've seen recent examples of that.

                  The rules are ways of thinking, not ways to avoid thinking.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                    On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 7:43:52 AM, Lior Fridman wrote:

                    > Yes. And yet, we only know what people do, not what they think. Is it
                    > perhaps even more insulting to tone down our style for the weak and
                    > not-so-fleet of tongue?

                    It's a metaphor, people, a turn of phrase. I know you're not weak just
                    because you can't hold your own in a reasonable conversation such as Lior
                    and I are familiar with.

                    Differently strong, that's it.

                    Geeze, people are so sensitive.

                    Do we learn more through cynicism, or through some other mental posture?
                  • Dale Emery
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                      Hi Ron,

                      > Yes. And yet, we only know what people do, not what they
                      > think. Is it perhaps even more insulting to tone down our
                      > style for the weak and not-so-fleet of tongue?

                      The insult would be in making certain kinds of assumptions about
                      the other person. Perhaps you could avoid that by asking the
                      other person's preferences for how you interact with them.

                      > I do try not to make it personal. I try to edit "you" out of
                      > my conversation.

                      Interesting. My approach is to make it more personal, such as by
                      speaking about myself and my experience in a personal way, or by
                      speaking to the person I'm speaking to in a more personal way.

                      I'm probably wildly inconsistent in using "you" to refer
                      specifically to one person I'm talking to and to refer to a
                      general "you."

                      I've come to have a bad reaction to the pronoun "one" in
                      reference to some general person. It feels too abstract and
                      impersonal to me. I drag in all kinds of stereotypical
                      associations with academia, including a feeling of being
                      pontificated at.

                      Dale

                      --
                      Dale Emery, Consultant
                      Collaborative Leadership for Software People

                      Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present.
                      There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other
                      person sees him, and each man as he really is. --William James
                    • Kent Beck
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004

                        If you are trying to make up their minds for them, you *are* evil.
                        Acting the best way you know how and looking for receptive moments to
                        share that (as well as looking for your own receptive moments to listen
                        someone else's perspective) works, and remains respectful of the other
                        person.

                        Kent Beck
                        Three Rivers Institute
                      • Kent Beck
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004

                          Saying weak/strong is judgemental--strong is good, weak is bad. If
                          someone doesn't feel like shouting you down, that doesn't mean they are
                          weak. Maybe they have better things to do with their time. In the
                          meantime, you've missed a chance to connect with them by insisting on
                          seeing your intimidating behavior as strong.

                          Kent Beck
                          Three Rivers Institute