[XP] Petition the King might actually work

  • James Cloughley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2004
      I'm not sure when but several months ago, I read about "Petition the
      King" (see http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/PetitionTheKing.htm). I
      brought it up at a meeting because we found it difficult to achieve a
      balance between servicing new requests from Sales, servicing existing
      clients and paying down Technical Debt.

      Anyhow, at the end of the article Ron mentioned that if someone ended up
      trying it, to let people know.

      After several iterations, it seems to be working. Now prior to each
      iteration, we decide on a list of things to accomplish based on current
      requests from Sales/Marketing, our Account Managers and we save some
      resources to address Technical Debt issues.

      A direct result of "Petition the King" is that it allows us to build
      features into the product that are needed now. This provides excellent
      focus and trims the enhancements that although may be a great idea to
      implement some day, are not necessary to deliver the most business value
      today.

      We still keep a repository of outstanding enhancements but the
      petitioners are responsible for logging the enhancement and they must
      remember to petition the king, not us.

      Best regards,

      Jim
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17, 2004
        Thanks, James!!

        On Tuesday, August 17, 2004, at 3:00:02 PM, James Cloughley wrote:

        > I'm not sure when but several months ago, I read about "Petition the
        > King" (see http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/PetitionTheKing.htm). I
        > brought it up at a meeting because we found it difficult to achieve a
        > balance between servicing new requests from Sales, servicing existing
        > clients and paying down Technical Debt.

        > Anyhow, at the end of the article Ron mentioned that if someone ended up
        > trying it, to let people know.

        > After several iterations, it seems to be working. Now prior to each
        > iteration, we decide on a list of things to accomplish based on current
        > requests from Sales/Marketing, our Account Managers and we save some
        > resources to address Technical Debt issues.

        > A direct result of "Petition the King" is that it allows us to build
        > features into the product that are needed now. This provides excellent
        > focus and trims the enhancements that although may be a great idea to
        > implement some day, are not necessary to deliver the most business value
        > today.

        > We still keep a repository of outstanding enhancements but the
        > petitioners are responsible for logging the enhancement and they must
        > remember to petition the king, not us.

        Resistance may or may not be futile. It is for sure not productive.