Xtreme programming in outsourced scenario

  • Sami Mukadam
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hi All,
      I was looking for an example where extreme programming is succesful in outsourced cases(software development outsourcing) to different geographies and what should a software customer look for in such cases (pitfalls), what are the iteration periods normally and what are metrics available for measuring success of XP over the conventional waterfall model so as to quantify the figures in dollars.
      Thanks
      Sami

    • Robert Watkins
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
        On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:03:46 -0700 (PDT), Sami Mukadam
        <mukadam_sami@...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I was looking for an example where extreme programming is succesful in outsourced cases(software development outsourcing) to different geographies and what should a software customer look for in such cases (pitfalls), what are the iteration periods normally and what are metrics available for measuring success of XP over the conventional waterfall model so as to quantify the figures in dollars.

        Sami,

        You can't outsource XP without outsourcing the customer as well; one
        of the strong requirements of XP is that you co-locate the development
        team together with the customer reps. So an off-shore XP team would
        need to have a customer rep sent over. Note that this could still give
        significant savings over normal waterfall style of development.

        Other agile techniques are better suited to having less collaboration
        with the customer (but still a lot more than traditional waterfall).
        An excellent article on the subject can be found at
        http://martinfowler.com/articles/agileOffshore.html; this describes
        the experience of the Thoughtworks Bangalore office with agile
        development.

        The primary pitfall with offshoring is always the engagement with the
        customer. Be aware that nearly always the development has been
        off-shored due to an extreme focus on costs; this can make the
        customer reluctant to engage because that will cost more.

        Robert.

        --
        "Software is too expensive to build cheaply"
        Robert Watkins http://twasink.net/ robertdw@...