Software and the Scientific Process (was Re: Relevant Web Article)

  • Bil Kleb
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
      Dave Rooney wrote:

      > Donald F. McLean wrote:
      > > http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=45497
      >
      > It's from Java Developer's Journal. Interesting article favourably
      > comparing Extreme Programming to the Scientific Method.

      So my XPAU2002 Open Space session, SoftwareAndTheScientificProcess, wasn't
      completely insane(*) after all?

      http://wiki.objectmentor.com/openspace/wiki.cgi?SoftwareAndTheScientificProcess

      Actually, I just presented an AIAA paper "CFD: A Castle in the Sand?" that
      is based on the notion discussed in the OpenSpace session. (The paper is
      should be online in a couple weeks at http://techreports.larc.nasa.gov/ltrs/
      Of course, you can also get a copy from me.)

      The paper's premise is that the numerical simulation community is currently
      based on an untested foundation, and collapse is eminent if our community
      does not start publishing programmer tests along side new algorithms/models.

      AIAA = American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics
      CFD = Computational Fluid Dynamics (see http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov for samples)

      Later,
      --
      Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia

      (*) Using Pirsig's definition of insanity as described in "Lila" -- the sequel
      to "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values",

      An insane delusion can't be held by a group at all. A person isn't
      considered insane if there are a number of people who believe the
      same way. Insanity isn't supposed to be a communicable disease.
      If one other person starts to believe him, or maybe two or three,
      then it's a religion.

      I also use this definition to explain one difference between pair programming
      and another alternative, solo programming.