FIT licensing and usage on commercial development projects

  • sergey_zabaluev
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2004
      I have a question to the development teams who are using FIT on
      real world commercial development projects.

      Out team is looking into using FIT in a custom development project as
      an acceptance testing tool. Looking at FIT license, which is GPL v2,
      I have a question whether fixtures that we are going to write
      extending standard FIT fixtures (e.g. RowFixture, ColumnFixture) must
      be released under GPL as well. Also, since our custom fixtures would
      directly call application classes, doesn't that imply that the
      application itself should adhere to GPL license ?

      If this is the case, any ideas why this specific license was chosen
      and not LGPL or BSD for example.

      Thanks,
      Sergey.
    • ejfried@ca.sandia.gov
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2004
        The GPL does *not* require that any modifications or derivative works
        you create must be released under the GPL. It requires that *if* you
        release such a derivative work, *then* it must be under the GPL.
        If they're just for internal use, there's no provision that says you
        have to share them with anyone.

        So if your Fit fixtures are for in-house use, then you're fine. But if
        you want to release them to customers, then you must include source
        for them, and they must be GPL licensed. Note that just because your
        fixtures make use of your application classes, this doesn't mean that
        you would have to release the source for those, as well; you just have
        to release them in library form such that the fixture source could be
        modified, recompiled, and reused.

        I think sergey_zabaluev wrote:
        > I have a question to the development teams who are using FIT on
        > real world commercial development projects.
        >
        > Out team is looking into using FIT in a custom development project as
        > an acceptance testing tool. Looking at FIT license, which is GPL v2,
        > I have a question whether fixtures that we are going to write
        > extending standard FIT fixtures (e.g. RowFixture, ColumnFixture) must
        > be released under GPL as well. Also, since our custom fixtures would
        > directly call application classes, doesn't that imply that the
        > application itself should adhere to GPL license ?
        >
        > If this is the case, any ideas why this specific license was chosen
        > and not LGPL or BSD for example.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Sergey.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Ernest Friedman-Hill
        Science and Engineering PSEs Phone: (925) 294-2154
        Sandia National Labs FAX: (925) 294-2234
        PO Box 969, MS 9012 ejfried@...
        Livermore, CA 94550 http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
      • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2004