Re: [XP] Digest Number 4347

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2004
      In a message dated 7/3/2004 12:48:13 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
      From: "J. B. Rainsberger" <jbrains@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: An XP Detector?

      Ron Jeffries wrote:

      <snip />
      >>XP is not the practices; it's what you do after you are able to do them
      >>very, very well, and at a moment's notice. Isn't that what we've been
      >>saying for the last few years?
      >
      > Yes, but isn't XP what one does, not what one can do?

      I fear being lost in the various levels, but I shall slug through.

      XP is what one does, but doing XP /is/ being able to do the practices.
      Therefore, my ability to do XP is by ability to be able to do the
      practices. I get an A+ in XP if I can turn the practices on and off like
      a switch at the appropriate times, even if I never actually do the
      practices.

      Clearer at all?
      --->

      In Aubrey Mennen's version of the Indian epic the Ramayana, there is a story
      about a clever ascetic who uses the above line of reasoning to have sex with a
      merchant's beautiful wife.

      We must renounce attachment to the world, he says, show that it matters not.
      Next we must renounce attachment to attachment, so that we don't get trapped
      in attachment, which is also part of the world.
      To show that we are fully free from attachment, we have sex, to show that we
      so don't worry about our seemingly violating our renunciation.

      (The twist in the story is that it turns out she's a nympho, and nearly kills
      him; the merchant becomes incredibly wealthy now that he has any free energy
      again... but for that you have to read the story).

      Moral: Watch out for people who don't do any of the XP practices claiming
      that they are so XP that they are freed from the XP practices.
      Alistair

    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2004
        acockburn@... wrote:

        > Moral: Watch out for people who don't do any of the XP practices claiming
        > that they are so XP that they are freed from the XP practices.

        I like this. I would claim it to be impossible, anyway, truly to have
        practised the practices to the point where one does none of them anymore.

        I suppose by saying that "XP is the ability to..." I mean more like "XP
        is the mindset one has after one is able...". I don't know what XP is
        what one does, so much as the reason or power behind what one does.
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services