Re: [XP] Re: An XP Detector?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 74 , Jul 2, 2004
      Ken Boucher wrote:

      >>Well, since the practices are not XP, it might be better to say
      >>that the team's practices "are on the way to XP." Isn't that what
      >>Bill Caputo always says? (I think he's right.)
      >
      > Is XP a toolkit or a destination?

      The practices are a toolkit; XP is a destination, a way.

      > Can a team add and subtract things from XP to adapt their toolkit to
      > the job they're doing or is that a violation of XP (and a lower score
      > on the imaginary XP-ness metric)?

      No: XP is what you do after you've tried the 12 practices, understand
      how and why they work, then go beyond them, as it appears that you have
      done.

      > And if they add and subtract things from XP to adapt are they
      > still "on the way to XP?"

      To rephrase, can a team do 11 of 12 practices, understand how and why
      they work, then go beyond them, and have that be XP? I suppose not, but
      at that point, who'd care? My guess is that they'd be shipping great
      software quickly, even though we'd never know whether they would have
      gone /even faster/ and been /even better/ if they'd tried all 12.

      If being expert at only 11 of the 12 practices enough to know when to
      break the rules is a team's biggest problem, then it deserves a serious
      vacation.

      > Is XP the goal or a means to another goal? If it's the second, must
      > XP-ness be attained to reach that other goal?

      The goal is ship great software. Getting to XP is a great way to try to
      get to that point. Doing the practices is a great way to get to XP.
      There may be other ways, but I can't say as they'd work, since I've
      never tried 'em.
      --
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services
      Message 74 of 74 , Jul 11, 2004
        banshee858 wrote:

        >>>A "true XP Detector" would be calibrated to the four values, not
        >>>the 12 practices.
        >>
        >>Let me be Uncle Bob for a moment...
        >>
        >>NO!
        >>
        >>An AGILE detector would be calibrated to the four values; but
        >>without practices consistent with the values, it's just all talk.
        >>An XP detector would be calibrated to how /well/ you /are able/ to
        >>do the practices.
        >
        > I am going to have to disagree with you here. IMO, if you use the
        > practices, but do not value the values, then what you are doing is
        > going through the motions without any consideration of why.

        You are absolutely right. The values are not enough, but neither are the
        practices. I suppose we need to be calibrated to both.

        That said, my whole picture of "what XP is" -- for whatever that picture
        might be worth -- has changed drastically in the last little while, so
        I'm going to beg your leave from this discussion for the time being and
        wait for the swimming in my head to stop.
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services