[XP] Re: An XP Detector?

  • Ken Boucher
    Message 1 of 74 , Jul 2, 2004
      > Well, since the practices are not XP, it might be better to say
      > that the team's practices "are on the way to XP." Isn't that what
      > Bill Caputo always says? (I think he's right.)

      Is XP a toolkit or a destination?

      Can a team add and subtract things from XP to adapt their toolkit to
      the job they're doing or is that a violation of XP (and a lower score
      on the imaginary XP-ness metric)?

      And if they add and subtract things from XP to adapt are they
      still "on the way to XP?"

      Is XP the goal or a means to another goal? If it's the second, must
      XP-ness be attained to reach that other goal?
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 74 of 74 , Jul 11, 2004
        banshee858 wrote:

        >>>A "true XP Detector" would be calibrated to the four values, not
        >>>the 12 practices.
        >>
        >>Let me be Uncle Bob for a moment...
        >>
        >>NO!
        >>
        >>An AGILE detector would be calibrated to the four values; but
        >>without practices consistent with the values, it's just all talk.
        >>An XP detector would be calibrated to how /well/ you /are able/ to
        >>do the practices.
        >
        > I am going to have to disagree with you here. IMO, if you use the
        > practices, but do not value the values, then what you are doing is
        > going through the motions without any consideration of why.

        You are absolutely right. The values are not enough, but neither are the
        practices. I suppose we need to be calibrated to both.

        That said, my whole picture of "what XP is" -- for whatever that picture
        might be worth -- has changed drastically in the last little while, so
        I'm going to beg your leave from this discussion for the time being and
        wait for the swimming in my head to stop.
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services