Re: [XP] Favorite Things From Agile Development Conference?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
      On Thursday, July 1, 2004, at 6:58:30 PM, John Brewer wrote:

      > Definitely the fish. But I'm having trouble capturing the feeling of
      > what Lister said. Any idea what I should say about it?

      Well, hmm. Here are some notes I took. Not clear what the theme is ...

      One main point was that there's no one way. He recommended against
      homogenizing the agile methods.

      "Analysis, Design, Code, Test, Litigate"

      "If you can't talk out loud about something that could bite you, there is
      something wrong."

      He touted the risk analysis stuff in Waltzing with Bears. Pointed out that
      incrementalism is a great risk mitigation strategy.

      Weakest link in (waterfall) is requirements, because the really interesting
      requirements are invented.

      Nothing beats face to face incidental contact. Important to work on only
      one project. Work hard, then go home.

      When projects are in a failure envelope, people just go into survival mode.
      Success lets you try hard things, learn, experiment, and have pride.

      Questioner: How do I sell my executive team on doing this stuff?
      Jim Highsmith: Don't. Just do it. They don't know what you're doing anyway.
    • acockburn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
        Lister:

        "Gathering Requirements" ... like "gathering berries" ... "Oh, here's a nice
        orange one!"