Re: [XP] Favorite Things From Agile Development Conference?

  • John Brewer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
      Definitely the fish. But I'm having trouble capturing the feeling of
      what Lister said. Any idea what I should say about it?

      --
      John Brewer

      Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
        On Thursday, July 1, 2004, at 6:58:30 PM, John Brewer wrote:

        > Definitely the fish. But I'm having trouble capturing the feeling of
        > what Lister said. Any idea what I should say about it?

        Well, hmm. Here are some notes I took. Not clear what the theme is ...

        One main point was that there's no one way. He recommended against
        homogenizing the agile methods.

        "Analysis, Design, Code, Test, Litigate"

        "If you can't talk out loud about something that could bite you, there is
        something wrong."

        He touted the risk analysis stuff in Waltzing with Bears. Pointed out that
        incrementalism is a great risk mitigation strategy.

        Weakest link in (waterfall) is requirements, because the really interesting
        requirements are invented.

        Nothing beats face to face incidental contact. Important to work on only
        one project. Work hard, then go home.

        When projects are in a failure envelope, people just go into survival mode.
        Success lets you try hard things, learn, experiment, and have pride.

        Questioner: How do I sell my executive team on doing this stuff?
        Jim Highsmith: Don't. Just do it. They don't know what you're doing anyway.
      • acockburn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
          Lister:

          "Gathering Requirements" ... like "gathering berries" ... "Oh, here's a nice
          orange one!"