Re: [XP] Re: An XP Detector?

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 74 , Jul 1, 2004
      Ken Boucher wrote:

      > I think the question "this team's actual practices
      > are [or are not]
      > XP" is very interesting simply because by the time
      > the community is
      > done with the whole "you're not XP unless you do
      > X,Y,and Z in this
      > manner" the number of XP success stories that pass
      > the new
      > requirements for being XP may be very interesting.

      Would a "Learning XP Detector" be more useful?

      =====
      Phlip

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 74 of 74 , Jul 11, 2004
        banshee858 wrote:

        >>>A "true XP Detector" would be calibrated to the four values, not
        >>>the 12 practices.
        >>
        >>Let me be Uncle Bob for a moment...
        >>
        >>NO!
        >>
        >>An AGILE detector would be calibrated to the four values; but
        >>without practices consistent with the values, it's just all talk.
        >>An XP detector would be calibrated to how /well/ you /are able/ to
        >>do the practices.
        >
        > I am going to have to disagree with you here. IMO, if you use the
        > practices, but do not value the values, then what you are doing is
        > going through the motions without any consideration of why.

        You are absolutely right. The values are not enough, but neither are the
        practices. I suppose we need to be calibrated to both.

        That said, my whole picture of "what XP is" -- for whatever that picture
        might be worth -- has changed drastically in the last little while, so
        I'm going to beg your leave from this discussion for the time being and
        wait for the swimming in my head to stop.
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services