Re: [XP] How do you integrate actuals into future iterations and release plans?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
      On Wednesday, June 30, 2004, at 7:09:40 PM, Jonathan Rasmusson wrote:

      > How do you convert this into a date?

      > i.e. how do you communicate to the customer when you expect to be
      > done? (based on how much/little you know today).

      > I understand the XP concept of adaptive planning and feedback based
      > on velocity. Wondering how you explain this to the customer, in
      > light of them still asking for a date?

      There is no easy answer: there is only the truth.

      "Right now, this appears to be a 200 point project. Based on our
      performance on other projects (or a random guess), with N programmers on
      it, and your intimate involvement in the project, a project of this size
      will take between 4 and 6 months.

      "However. We will be shipping software to you every two weeks, and we'll be
      ticking off these feature stories to //your// satisfaction. The good news
      is that if you're not satisfied, you can stop. The better news is that if
      you become satisfied before all the features are done, you can stop. The
      bad news is that you need to work with us to make it clear just what your
      satisfaction means. The best news is that whenever there are enough
      features working to make the program useful, you can ask us to prepare it
      for deployment, and we'll do that.

      "As we go forward, we'll all see how fast we're progressing, and our
      estimate of the time needed will improve. In every case, you'll see what is
      going on, you'll see concrete evidence of useful software running the tests
      that you specify, and you'll know everything as soon as we know it."

      If names and real items do not correspond with each other, there will be fighting.
      -- Jing Fa