An XP Detector?

    Message 1 of 74 , Jul 1, 2004
      On Wednesday, June 30, 2004, at 4:34:54 PM, John Roth wrote:

      > Code that doesn't have tests which have statement and branch coverage in
      > the 90% plus range simply wasn't written with TDD, which means that the
      > development methodology wasn't XP, regardless of any claims to the
      > contrary.

      This is a pretty strong statement. I'm not here to disagree with it, but to
      explore it. I offer these starting questions:

      To what extent is TDD that critical to XP?

      To what extent is high test coverage critical to XP?

      And the perennial: what does it mean to say that a team's actual practices
      are, or are not, XP?

      Find the simple path to what works and follow it,
      always looking for a simpler path. -- Patrick D. Smith
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 74 of 74 , Jul 11, 2004
        banshee858 wrote:

        >>>A "true XP Detector" would be calibrated to the four values, not
        >>>the 12 practices.
        >>
        >>Let me be Uncle Bob for a moment...
        >>
        >>NO!
        >>
        >>An AGILE detector would be calibrated to the four values; but
        >>without practices consistent with the values, it's just all talk.
        >>An XP detector would be calibrated to how /well/ you /are able/ to
        >>do the practices.
        >
        > I am going to have to disagree with you here. IMO, if you use the
        > practices, but do not value the values, then what you are doing is
        > going through the motions without any consideration of why.

        You are absolutely right. The values are not enough, but neither are the
        practices. I suppose we need to be calibrated to both.

        That said, my whole picture of "what XP is" -- for whatever that picture
        might be worth -- has changed drastically in the last little while, so
        I'm going to beg your leave from this discussion for the time being and
        wait for the swimming in my head to stop.
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services