Re: [XP] So how's XP & Agile doing?

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 74 , Jun 30, 2004
      tony_stansfield wrote:

      > Ilja Preuss wrote:

      > > What do you estimate how many people outside your
      > > company know that
      > > *you* are doing Agile development? What have you
      > > done to spread the
      > > word?

      > Everyone in our company knows. We made it very clear
      > from the start
      > what we were planning on doing and told the entire
      > organisation.

      Ilja said "outside".

      I proselytize here a lot, but at job sites I keep
      quiet about such things. Do you accost people on the
      street and tell them your team's trying XP?

      =====
      Phlip

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 74 of 74 , Jul 11, 2004
        banshee858 wrote:

        >>>A "true XP Detector" would be calibrated to the four values, not
        >>>the 12 practices.
        >>
        >>Let me be Uncle Bob for a moment...
        >>
        >>NO!
        >>
        >>An AGILE detector would be calibrated to the four values; but
        >>without practices consistent with the values, it's just all talk.
        >>An XP detector would be calibrated to how /well/ you /are able/ to
        >>do the practices.
        >
        > I am going to have to disagree with you here. IMO, if you use the
        > practices, but do not value the values, then what you are doing is
        > going through the motions without any consideration of why.

        You are absolutely right. The values are not enough, but neither are the
        practices. I suppose we need to be calibrated to both.

        That said, my whole picture of "what XP is" -- for whatever that picture
        might be worth -- has changed drastically in the last little while, so
        I'm going to beg your leave from this discussion for the time being and
        wait for the swimming in my head to stop.
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services