Pairing during interviews?

  • Denis Haskin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
      In another thread, Ken wrote:

      >I doubt our organization will ever again hire a coder without them
      >pairing with a variety of people. We (and from the sounds of it a
      >number of other organizations) have learned that the abilty to pair
      >programming is a requirement of a new employee.

      Interesting. Can you provide a little more detail on how this works at
      your organization? What kind of project do you use during this
      "interview pairing"? I assume you switch off roles? How much time do
      you take? How many pairs does an interviewee do during the interview
      process?

      Thanks,

      dwh
    • Ken Boucher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
        > Interesting. Can you provide a little more detail on how this
        > works at your organization? What kind of project do you use during
        > this "interview pairing"? I assume you switch off roles? How much
        > time do you take? How many pairs does an interviewee do during the
        > interview process?

        Rough process overview of the last time we did it: (all tasks are
        roughly 1.5 hours give or take a half hour. Entire process takes most
        of the day)
        Bob (generic name for the person we're considering hiring) talks with
        a senior programmer, a business person, and someone else for an hour
        or so.
        Bob pairs with someone from Team X on whatever they're doing.
        Bob pairs with someone from Team Y on some sort of "how would you
        solve this problem pairing".
        Bobs eats at the Chinese food joint across the street with 4-8 of us.
        Bob pairs with a couple people from Team Z on whatever they're doing.
        Bob meets in a larger room with a bunch of developers, talks some
        more, and does a little bit of chalk talk/modeling/whatever.
        Bob goes home, exhausted, and knowing more about how we work than he
        probably ever wanted to know.
        We meet and decide through some process that if I describe it
        incorrectly would probably have HR breathing down my neck. It's
        really simple actually and very quick (<15 minutes).
        In this process Bob will meet (roughly) about 12 people with a wide
        range of personalities (perhaps too wide).

        This is about as generic of a description as I can give. It provides
        the flavor with no real attempt at accuracy.
      • Alex Chaffee
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 4:46 PM
          For the past 2 years I've been using pair programming as a general
          interview technique, even when I'm performing interviews for clients
          who don't do pair programming. Among other advantages, it is extremely
          effective at exposing resume padders.

          - A