Favorite Things From Agile Development Conference?

  • John Brewer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
      I'm writing up my trip report from the Agile Development Conference.
      Does anyone have any suggestion of things I should be sure to mention?

      Thanks

      --
      John Brewer

      Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
        On Wednesday, June 30, 2004, at 5:16:28 PM, John Brewer wrote:

        > I'm writing up my trip report from the Agile Development Conference.
        > Does anyone have any suggestion of things I should be sure to mention?

        Dead Fish.

        Testing should be done...
        (a) ...from the beginning of a project.
        (b) ...starting at some point in the middle of a project.
        (c) ...on those who think it should only be done at the end of a project.
        -- A poster at Rational spotted by J. B. Rainsberger
      • John Brewer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
          Definitely the fish. But I'm having trouble capturing the feeling of
          what Lister said. Any idea what I should say about it?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
            On Thursday, July 1, 2004, at 6:58:30 PM, John Brewer wrote:

            > Definitely the fish. But I'm having trouble capturing the feeling of
            > what Lister said. Any idea what I should say about it?

            Well, hmm. Here are some notes I took. Not clear what the theme is ...

            One main point was that there's no one way. He recommended against
            homogenizing the agile methods.

            "Analysis, Design, Code, Test, Litigate"

            "If you can't talk out loud about something that could bite you, there is
            something wrong."

            He touted the risk analysis stuff in Waltzing with Bears. Pointed out that
            incrementalism is a great risk mitigation strategy.

            Weakest link in (waterfall) is requirements, because the really interesting
            requirements are invented.

            Nothing beats face to face incidental contact. Important to work on only
            one project. Work hard, then go home.

            When projects are in a failure envelope, people just go into survival mode.
            Success lets you try hard things, learn, experiment, and have pride.

            Questioner: How do I sell my executive team on doing this stuff?
            Jim Highsmith: Don't. Just do it. They don't know what you're doing anyway.
          • acockburn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
              Lister:

              "Gathering Requirements" ... like "gathering berries" ... "Oh, here's a nice
              orange one!"