So how's XP & Agile doing?

  • tony_stansfield@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 74 , Jun 30, 2004
      I'd be interested in hearing views on how XP & Agile are being taken
      up in the world of software development in the business world.

      I work for an online bank in the UK & we've adopted (and adapted)
      Agile methods for all our solutions development now. But I don't
      hear an awful lot over here about other organisations adopting in
      any significant way or in significant numbers. Am I just deaf or is
      there little Agile development happening here in the UK? And how
      does it compare in the rest of the world?

      I'll make an observation that's completely open for challenge. I
      believe that the agile community in the UK (and the rest of the
      world?) is failing to get what is, IMHO undoubtedly a superior way
      of delivering software (and therefore business value), accepted and
      taken up by IT delivery organisations in the business world in any
      significant way. I hear about the odd pilot here and there, but not
      that much more. I believe this is due to the focus of the agile
      community.

      Certainly here in the UK, the agile community provides a great
      service in supporting the existing members of that community. A
      membership that is largely made up of people directly involved in
      software development - project managers, programmers, analysts, and
      so on. It's also doing a good job of spreading the message to others
      in those roles that are currently outside the agile community.
      However, there seems to be very little focus on explaining the
      benefits of agile to another very significant community in the
      business world, the guys with the money - suits. It's really the
      suits (people like me, senior IT managers, CTOs, CIOs) that have the
      biggest influence on whether agile ways of working get taken up in
      any significant way and it feels to me like the agile community
      isn't doing an awful lot about getting us enthusiastic and on board.

      Tony Stansfield (Suit in Geeks Clothing)
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 74 of 74 , Jul 11, 2004
        banshee858 wrote:

        >>>A "true XP Detector" would be calibrated to the four values, not
        >>>the 12 practices.
        >>
        >>Let me be Uncle Bob for a moment...
        >>
        >>NO!
        >>
        >>An AGILE detector would be calibrated to the four values; but
        >>without practices consistent with the values, it's just all talk.
        >>An XP detector would be calibrated to how /well/ you /are able/ to
        >>do the practices.
        >
        > I am going to have to disagree with you here. IMO, if you use the
        > practices, but do not value the values, then what you are doing is
        > going through the motions without any consideration of why.

        You are absolutely right. The values are not enough, but neither are the
        practices. I suppose we need to be calibrated to both.

        That said, my whole picture of "what XP is" -- for whatever that picture
        might be worth -- has changed drastically in the last little while, so
        I'm going to beg your leave from this discussion for the time being and
        wait for the swimming in my head to stop.
        --
        J. B. Rainsberger,
        Diaspar Software Services