ANN: XPSD monthly meeting this Thursday

  • June Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2004
      This month�s presentation at eXtreme Programming San
      Diego will be the first in a series entitled �Open
      Source Tools for Extreme Programming�. This series
      will be quite technical and is aimed at software
      engineers/developers. We will be meeting at SAIC on
      Campus Point Dr. (http://xpsd.org/SAICDirections) from
      6-8PM on Thursday July 1st.

      For the first topic in the series, we will focus on
      Acceptance Testing. The talk will demonstrate the use
      of Jemmy to create automated UI-invoked tests of a
      Java/Swing application. Jemmy is a free library which
      allows you to code tests and demos in Java by invoking
      the user interface elements of your application. The
      API will be introduced as we develop a simple
      application test first. Then we'll look at an
      application of Jemmy in the real world. We'll also see
      how to integrate the tests into your build process
      with Ant.

      Our speaker is Andrew de Torres
      (http://xpsd.org/AndydeTorres). Andy is a Java
      consultant with 7 years experience. He has a strong UI
      background having worked on sonar and command and
      control systems for SPAWAR and a network planning tool
      for Ericsson. He has been interested in XP for about
      four years and tries to incorporate as much of it as
      he can into non-XP environments.

      We will also be having a �Show & Tell� session after
      the Jemmy presentation. This will be an open session
      where members volunteer to spend 3-4 minutes sharing
      something they used last month that was helpful to
      their XP project (e.g. a new technology, technique,
      refactoring, etc.).

      Please RSVP by replying to this email
      (joonspoon@...) if you plan to attend.

      http://xpsd.org
    • June Clarke
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004
        This month�s presentation at eXtreme Programming San
        Diego will be the second in the �Open Source Tools for
        Extreme Programming� series. This is a technical,
        tutorial-based series aimed at software
        engineers/developers. We will be meeting at SAIC on
        Campus Point Dr. (http://xpsd.org/SAICDirections) from
        6-8PM on Thursday August 5th.

        For the second topic in the series, we will focus on
        Continuous Integration. Stephen Gargan will give a
        brief introduction to Maven, followed by an in-depth
        tutorial on how it can be used in the real world
        through J2EE examples.

        Maven is the latest project management build and
        deployment tool from the Apache Group. It leverages
        and expands on Ant and aims to simplify your build
        cycle. Maven�s features include a standard project
        model, intelligent dependency control and automatic
        documentation & report generation.

        Stephen�s tutorial will also show how to use
        CruiseControl with Maven to automate your build loop.
        Cruise Control is an open source tool from
        ThoughtWorks, Inc. and facilitates a well developed
        continuous integration process.

        More information on the technologies mentioned above
        is available at:
        Maven: http://maven.apache.org
        CruiseControl: http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net
        Continuous Integration:
        http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ContinuousIntegration

        We will also be having a �Show & Tell� session after
        the Maven presentation. All members are welcome to