XP for one?

  • Fabian Rojas
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2004
      Brian Schuth wrote on 26/06/2004 :
      "I've been doing "XP for one" for about 2.5 years now, and have brought in ubsets of XP practices on small projects (2-4 developers)."

      Im a student of "Ingenieria en Informatica" at the Universidad de Belgrano in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Wright now I´m writing my tesis about eXtreme Programming and I find this email with subject OT(?) Finding XP Work.
      isn´t Pair Programming one of the XP principles? Can you do XP without Pair Programming?
      Thanx
      Fabian Rojas

    • Brian Schuth
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2004
        I think "XP for one" is a common shorthand for those of us not lucky
        enough to work in environments where XP is going to be widely accepted,
        and where we do not have the opportunity to make it happen ourselves. I
        use the planning game, TDD, acceptance tests (as much as possible), etc.
        Except for moments of extreme psychic dissociation, pair programming
        is difficult when working by yourself :).

        To address your larger question, you might want to read through the
        archives on "Subsets of XP", a thread that was going some time back,
        that answered many variations on the basic questions "Can you do XP
        without doing [insert practice here]?"

        Brian Schuth
        Eastport, ME
      • lasse.koskela@accenture.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 27, 2004
          J.B.'s presentation, "XP for One at IBM", is also online at http://www.diasparsoftware.com/presentations/XPForOne/www/xp-for-one.html

          - Lasse -

        • J. B. Rainsberger
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 27, 2004
            Fabian Rojas wrote:

            > Brian Schuth wrote on 26/06/2004 :
            > "I've been doing "XP for one" for about 2.5 years now, and have brought in ubsets of XP practices on small projects (2-4 developers)."
            >
            > Im a student of "Ingenieria en Informatica" at the Universidad de Belgrano in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Wright now I´m writing my tesis about eXtreme Programming and I find this email with subject OT(?) Finding XP Work.
            > isn´t Pair Programming one of the XP principles? Can you do XP without Pair Programming?

            http://www.diasparsoftware.com/presentations/XPForOne/www/xp-for-one.htm

            I hope it's useful.
            \--
            J. B. Rainsberger,
            Diaspar Software Services
          • J. B. Rainsberger
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 27, 2004
              lasse.koskela@... wrote:

              > J.B.'s presentation, "XP for One at IBM", is also online at http://www.diasparsoftware.com/presentations/XPForOne/www/xp-for-one.html

              Oh. Thanks. I apologize for the shameless self promotion, when instead
              people should be looking for references from neutral parties. :)
              --
              J. B. Rainsberger,
              Diaspar Software Services
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 28, 2004
                lasse.koskela@... wrote:
                > J.B.'s presentation, "XP for One at IBM", is also online at
                > http://www.diasparsoftware.com/presentations/XPForOne/www/xp-f
                > or-one.html

                See also http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeProgrammingForOne

                Cheers, Ilja
              • The Knightlore
                Message 7 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                  Hi,
                  I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.

                  I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?

                  Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair programming?

                  I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?

                  Thanks,
                  Warren.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                    Hi Warren,

                    On May 15, 2013, at 12:40 PM, "The Knightlore" <warren1024@...> wrote:

                    > I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.

                    Good luck � take it for what it is, a book about how I undertake to learn something. What it isn't, is a good book to learn about C#.

                    > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?

                    Perhaps it's not important to be "doing XP". Perhaps it's important to learn ways to do good things and to decide when and how to do them.

                    > Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair programming?

                    Anything is possible, but pairing is pretty intimate. Unless your voices speak frequently, I do not hold out much hope for one-person pairing.

                    > I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?

                    You could learn to ask yourself questions. I find, though, that when I'm working alone, I get all engaged and forget to ask myself things. Or, if I do, I don't answer.

                    It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
                    -- Ronald Reagan

                  • Adam Sroka
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                      I don't like working alone. Sometimes I will even get a friend who knows
                      nothing about programming to watch so that I can explain to them what I am
                      doing and hopefully inspire them to ask questions.

                      When that is not possible I go for frequent walks. I find that when I walk
                      things that were stuck somewhere in my mind come into focus and I can make
                      a quick note about them on my smartphone so that I don't forget to address
                      them when I get back to my desk.

                      Pro tip: find a safe place away from traffic and sit or stand still while
                      you write the note ;-)

                      On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM, The Knightlore <warren1024@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Hi,
                      > I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.
                      >
                      > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering
                      > whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?
                      >
                      > Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to
                      > get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair
                      > programming?
                      >
                      > I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair
                      > programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my
                      > shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Warren.

                    • Michal Svoboda
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                        Ron Jeffries wrote:
                        > > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was
                        > > wondering whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP
                        > > without pair coding?
                        >
                        > Perhaps it's not important to be "doing XP". Perhaps it's important to
                        > learn ways to do good things and to decide when and how to do them.

                        I agree. To elaborate, XP is a toolbox, you don't need to use all the
                        tools all the times. It's best to learn how the tools work, how they
                        support each other and then how to apply them to your problem.

                        If you work solo then you'll omit pair programming. It's definitely
                        possible to do "good things" this way. You'll find another way to get
                        the feedback that pairing would provide. For example, by having a
                        critical look on your own code a couple weeks later. As for talking to
                        someone you can try the Wilson trick from Cast Away.

                        Michal Svoboda
                      • Jeff Langr
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                          Someone looking over your shouldn't isn't really pair programming. It
                          doesn't help much. Pairing is instead two people actively collaborating on
                          building a solution.

                          Some benefits:
                          http://pragprog.com/magazines/2011-07/pair-programming-benefits

                          Jeff

                          Langr Software Solutions, Inc.
                          http://langrsoft.com
                          Modern C++ Programming with TDD
                          http://pragprog.com/book/lotdd/modern-c-programming-with-test-driven-development

                          Agile in a Flash blog http://agileinaflash.com
                          Agile in a Flash: A top 20 agile book!
                          http://pragprog.com/book/olag/agile-in-a-flash

                          On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM, The Knightlore <warren1024@...>wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.
                          >
                          > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering
                          > whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?
                          >
                          > Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to
                          > get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair
                          > programming?
                          >
                          > I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair
                          > programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my
                          > shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Warren.

                        • Jeff Langr
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 15, 2013