VS: [XP] estimation

  • lasse.koskela@accenture.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      sobia awan:
      > 1. which basic factors are considered for estimation in a Xp project?
      > I want to know the frequency of estimates as well as the timing of
      > conducting estimation practice throughout the Xp lifecycle.

      Estimates in XP are based on "Yesterday's Weather".

      The idea is that no matter how you estimate your stories, if you do it consistently, you'll get more accurate very quickly -- if you estimate you'll finish 15 points during iteration N and you ended up finishing only 10, you'll plan iteration N+1 with the assumption that you'll finish 10 points worth of stories during the iteration. Then, if you end up finishing 20 points, you'd plan N+2 with 20 points at your disposal, and so on.

      - Lasse -