estimation

  • sobia awan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      hi
      1. which basic factors are considered for estimation in a Xp project? I want to know the frequency of estimates as well as the timing of conducting estimation practice throughout the Xp lifecycle.
      2. Are there any freewares which can be used to plan a Xp project.
      3. Can Xp be used to achieve any level of SEI/CMM? and should it be used for this purpose.

      Regards.

    • Dale Emery
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hi Sobia,

        > 2. Are there any freewares which can be used to plan a Xp
        > project.

        There's XPlanner:
        http://www.xplanner.org/

        There's also the popular combination of wetware (which you
        already have, for free) and this whiteware (not free, but
        inexpensive):
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IFDF/dalehemer-20

        > 3. Can Xp be used to achieve any level of SEI/CMM? and should
        > it be used for this purpose.

        There's at least one organization that is doing XP at CMM Level 3.

        Dale

        --
        Dale Emery -- Consultant -- Resistance as a Resource
        Web: http://www.dhemery.com

        --Sydney J. Harris
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
          On Wednesday, June 2, 2004, at 2:07:38 AM, sobia awan wrote:

          > 1. which basic factors are considered for estimation in a Xp project? I
          > want to know the frequency of estimates as well as the timing of
          > conducting estimation practice throughout the Xp lifecycle.

          Have you read Extreme Programming Installed, and Planning Extreme
          Programming?

          > 2. Are there any freewares which can be used to plan a Xp project.

          I think there are. However, planning an XP project is a human activity, not
          a software activity. It's best done, in my opinion, with people and cards,
          not with software. Cards, though, aren't quite free.

          > 3. Can Xp be used to achieve any level of SEI/CMM? and should it be used
          > for this purpose.

          Yes. It should be fairly easy to attain L3 with XP. HIgher levels are
          surely possible also, but it might begin to pervert the fundamental ideas
          behind XP and Agile methods. It would be more fun than a lot of ways of
          attaining L3. That might be reason to do it.

          A more important question is why one would want to attain a CMM level.

          You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
          --Inigo Montoya
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
            On Wednesday, June 2, 2004, at 2:29:47 AM, Dale Emery wrote:

            > There's also the popular combination of wetware (which you
            > already have, for free) and this whiteware (not free, but
            > inexpensive):
            > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IFDF/dalehemer-20

            :)

            >> 3. Can Xp be used to achieve any level of SEI/CMM? and should
            >> it be used for this purpose.

            > There's at least one organization that is doing XP at CMM Level 3.

            Is there? May we know who? Is there anything written about this?

            Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
            accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes
          • Dale Emery
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
              Hi Ron,

              >> There's at least one organization that is doing XP at CMM
              >> Level 3.
              >
              > Is there? May we know who? Is there anything written about
              > this?

              Unless I misread something somewhere, Glen Alleman's crew is
              doing XP at Level 3. I'm not sure whether he's written about it
              anywhere other than here.

              Dale

              --
              Dale Emery -- Consultant -- Resistance as a Resource
              Web: http://www.dhemery.com
              Weblog: http://www.dhemery.com/cwd (Conversations with Dale)

              If the world were a logical place, men would ride side-saddle.
              --Rita Mae Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
                On Wednesday, June 2, 2004, at 5:26:59 AM, Dale Emery wrote:

                > Unless I misread something somewhere, Glen Alleman's crew is
                > doing XP at Level 3. I'm not sure whether he's written about it
                > anywhere other than here.

                Only two questions: are they doing XP (whatever that means), and are they
                independently assessed at L3? Glen?

                The opinions expressed here /are/ necessarily those of XProgramming.com.
                But I might change my mind.
              • John Brewer
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
                  On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 23:07:38 -0700 (PDT), sobia awan
                  <s_awan2002@...> wrote:
                  > 1. which basic factors are considered for estimation in a Xp project? I want to know the frequency of estimates as well as the timing of conducting estimation practice throughout the Xp lifecycle.

                  Classical XP estimates everything twice. During release planning, you
                  estimate at the story level. During iteration planning, you break the
                  story down into specific engineering tasks and estimate each task.

                  Release planning is done before the project begins, and then on an
                  as-needed basis as requirements change. Iteration planning is done
                  before each iteration.

                  John Brewer

                  Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html
                • John Brewer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
                    <s_awan2002@...> wrote:
                    > 3. Can Xp be used to achieve any level of SEI/CMM? and should it be used for this purpose.

                    According to Mark Paulk of the SEI, XP can be used as part of an
                    overall CMM process improvement program. XP by itself is not
                    sufficient to get a specific CMM rating because CMM covers parts of
                    the development process that are outside the scope of XP.

                    http://www.sei.cmu.edu/activities/cmm/papers/xp-cmm.pdf

                    (BTW, according to my friends at Silicon Valley SPIN, CMM is being
                    deprecated in favor of CMMI.)