Re: Architects, XPLite and Metaphor.

  • Edmund Schweppe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <jeffries@d...>
      wrote:
      > On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 9:37:27 PM, Edmund Schweppe wrote:
      >>> I share this concern, but I have no proof of it. It might
      >>> actually be that a particularly good metaphor would change the
      >>> client's view of things for the better.
      >> I've just started reading _Domain-Driven Design_, so I may well be
      >> missing something, but ... wouldn't a change in the client's view
      >> of things imply that the "ubiquitous language" would need to change
      >> to reflect that view? Should such happen, of course, the UL and the
      >> Metaphor would once again be similar; should such not happen, the
      >> significant trouble once again becomes likely.
      > What if change isn't bad? What if change is good.

      If the change is good, and the ubiquitous language changes to match the
      good change, then the ubiquitous language and the metaphor once again
      will be similar, and similarly good. Thus there is much goodness, and
      there will be much rejoicing.

      Hopefully, folks who are using a ubiquitous language and a Metaphor will
      notice when the two get out of synch, and will change them as needed
      (change being good, after all). At least, that's how I understand things.