Testing Leftover

  • Lior Fridman
    Message 1 of 42 , May 30, 2004
      Hi all
      At the risk in going into covered land I have a question about
      implantation of testing.

      Assumption - I need to test private/protected methods of a given class
      (I writing this down not necessarily because its true but because I
      think its the subject of a different discussion)

      Requirement - do not leave testing code in operational code.
      (I think it's a reasonable one)

      Now the question is how can I access private/protected method of a given
      class from the test code without
      leaving any traces in the class code itself.

      I have struggled with this problem for a couple of days now and I still
      don't have a good solution. The more I think about it I feel that what
      im trying to do cant actually be done (if it could, it means that the
      private/protected mechanism can be bypassed)

      So the question is:
      1) can it be done?
      2) if not what is the simplest way of doing it with leaving minimal
      traces of testing code in operational code.

      Thanx all
      Lior

      Thank you.

    • Phlip
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 1, 2004
        Ian Collins wrote:

        > I prefer it shorter, uglier and out of sight!

        The author of /Working Effectively with Legacy Code/
        has reminded us that _in_ sight is better. More team
        awareness of the difference between the real and the
        ideal.

        =====
        Phlip

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/