RE: RE: Testing experiences

  • m.m.van.der.voort@dnb.nl
    Message 1 of 66 , Aug 2, 2000
      > In my example, the classes for the chessboard and the chesspieces seem
      > inherently strong coupled. This especially applies to testing the pieces
      > seperately, and especially to tricky moves like En Passant and Castling. I
      > think a mock chessboard/chesssquare object would be almost as complicated as
      > the real board. Any ideas for unit tests for the User Story "En Passant"?

      The cases you name are the hardest cases to test and program since they rely on
      previous state of the game. Most other moves can be validated by looking at the
      current state only.
      In general when I would like to test a large number of situations I´d use an
      oracle: a reference implementation that mysteriously gives me the test outcome
      in an easy format.

      I think it was Ron who gave a set-like expression for legal moves for Bishops.
      I´d be happy to use these as a spec. I´d use a functional language to actually
      make these expressions executable, and there´s the oracle.

      Notice that I too am new to XP, so I do not know whether this is considered good
      XP practice. Any comments?

      Mark van der Voort

      `Externe E-Mail wordt door DNB niet gebruikt voor het aangaan van
      verplichtingen`

      `Any e-mail messages from The Nederlandsche Bank are given in good faith
      but shall not be binding
      nor shall they be construed as constituting any obligation on the part of
      the Bank.`
    • Mark Wilden
      Message 66 of 66 , Aug 14, 2000