RE: [XP] Monitors Face the Middle or Face the Wall?

    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 1 2:40 PM
      At 02:33 PM 8/1/2000 -0700, Couball, James wrote:

      >Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).

      Got a pointer to the specifics? Might be useful. Wonder if Alexander spoke
      to the issue? Patterns guys?

    • Eric Hodges
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1 2:41 PM
        If you see reflections in the monitor your ambient light levels are too
        high. Auto parts stores sell a large multi-facted rear view mirror that can
        provide near 180 degree vision behind you.

        They also sell turn signal kits (good for letting your partner know if
        you're about to take a wild turn) and air horn kits (good for letting the
        room know you're just about to fart.)

      • Dave Thomas
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 1 2:48 PM
          "Couball, James" <jcouball@...> writes:

          > Back to the wall is good Fung Shui

          Good in prison, too...
        • Johannes Brodwall
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1 3:37 PM
            > From: Mark Wilden [mailto:mark@...]
            >
            > > From: Ron Jeffries [mailto:ronjeffries@...]
            > >
            > > Face the middle, it facilitates communication and back-to-the-wall
            > > protects you from being stabbed in the back.
            >
            > The extremely defensive learn to detect the slightest motion in the
            > reflection in the monitor...

            Is this what is commonly known as "defensive programming" ;-) (Remember to
            keep your nerf gun close at hand)

            j'hannes
          • Mark Wilden
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 1 4:05 PM
              From: "Eric Hodges" <eric.hodges@...>
              > air horn kits (good for letting the room know you're just about to fart.)

              Yet I can achieve (almost) the same results without the air horn...
            • Erik Meade
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 1 10:32 PM
                Chimp has invisible monkey powers!

                http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/bazaar/mart/cart.cgi?action=view&type=item&it
                emid=2940
                ( watch the word wrap on the url )

                Erik

                If you see reflections in the monitor your ambient light levels are too
                high. Auto parts stores sell a large multi-facted rear view mirror that can
                provide near 180 degree vision behind you.

                They also sell turn signal kits (good for letting your partner know if
                you're about to take a wild turn) and air horn kits (good for letting the
                room know you're just about to fart.)

              • Cedric ROUVRAIS
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 2 2:07 AM
                  in general i've noticed that people like to have a wall behind them. not for
                  the being stabbed in the back thing (well maybe)
                  it's just that when they have a wall behind them they aren't under the
                  impression that big brother is watching you.
                  facing the wall the guy is itchy ...
                  where i work the desks that are prefered are the ones against the wall or
                  against the window.
                  the most despized desk is the one where the screen is facing the door.
                  nobody wants to go there, if someone has to go there he'll always try to
                  turn the screen (or the desk)

                  as a general thumb rule i've noticed that feng shui works nicely: it is the
                  art of getting a good karma in the room. i don't think it's some mystic art,
                  it's just a study of human behaviour IMHO, and they got it right.

                  a++ cedric
                • David Dickinson
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 2 4:05 AM
                    Alexander wrote an article on office and workspace layout which I did have a
                    URL for - I will try and track it down again if anyone's interested.

                    My personal choice would be for the monitors to be placed sideways, with
                    people sitting side-on to the wall - so that when you're working you can
                    look to one side out of a window (to help your eyes refocus and relax), and
                    look to the other side in towards the office.

                    Of course, this supposes you're in a decent office with windows to the
                    outside world!

                    Christopher Alexander covers workspaces/offices to good effect in "A Pattern
                    Language - Towns, Buildings, Construction".
                    Relevant patterns (just a short selection of the most significant) :
                    82 - Office connections
                    83 - Master and apprentices
                    146 - Flexible office space
                    148 - Small work groups
                    151 - Small meeting rooms
                    152 - Half-private office
                    159 - Light on two sides of every room
                    205 - Structure follows social spaces

                    The idea of "half-private" office/work space is important (IMO) - so that
                    you can work individually or in pairs without unduly disturbing others, but
                    still be aware of what is happening in the larger office space, and have
                    easy access to peers for questions/chats. Most office space that I've
                    experienced has been appallingly badly designed - more akin to
                    battery-farming of livestock than a comfortable environment for creative,
                    intellectually challenging work.

                    Of course, the most important pattern (which should be made mandatory for
                    inclusion in all offices) is no. 90 - Beer Hall...

                    David.
                  • Bill dehOra
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 2 5:26 AM
                      >>Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).
                      >
                      >Got a pointer to the specifics? Might be useful. Wonder if
                      >Alexander spoke to the issue? Patterns guys?

                      It's basic psychology. People don't like having their backs exposed (you
                      can't see there, so it's dangerous). Personal space is egg shaped, narrowing
                      at the front and sides, more distance required at the back. The size of the
                      egg varies from culture to culture, not unlike arm gesticulations. For
                      similar reasons, people prefer to have doors to the front.

                      -Bill de hÓra
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 2 5:40 AM
                        At 01:26 PM 8/2/2000 +0100, Bill dehOra wrote:
                        > >>Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).
                        > >
                        > >Got a pointer to the specifics? Might be useful. ...
                        >
                        >It's basic psychology.

                        With which, of course, we are all intimately familiar from our graduate
                        work. I know *I* don't like my back to the room, but the reasons in my case
                        are obvious. Someone really MIGHT kill me. ;->

                        I was asking, however, for a specific pointer to Feng Shui's sayings on
                        facing the room, as I thought it might be interesting. So far no one has
                        come up with that.

                      • Bill dehOra
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 2 6:04 AM
                          >I was asking, however, for a specific pointer to Feng Shui's
                          >sayings on
                          >facing the room, as I thought it might be interesting. So far
                          >no one has come up with that.

                          My fiance conjectures that energy flow into the back is bad feng shui.
                          Specifics pointers to follow...

                          -Bill de hÓra
                        • Cedric ROUVRAIS
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 2 6:14 AM
                            > I was asking, however, for a specific pointer to Feng Shui's sayings on
                            > facing the room, as I thought it might be interesting. So far no one has
                            > come up with that.

                            sorry ron, i was too busy laughing @ your beanie thing

                            i'd take a look at 2 first. it's light, but i haven't got much in english,
                            sorry.
                            however if you're willing to pay (books or online service there's much more
                            as usual)

                            1/
                            http://www.pleasantconcepts.com/instantsolutions/fengshui/office/office.htm

                            2/ http://www.queen-fengshui.com/office.html

                            3/ www.access-a.com.au/fengshui/office.htm

                            4.a/ http://www.fengshuihelp.com/rearview.htm
                            4.b/ http://www.fengshuihelp.com/visioninoffice.htm

                            a more complete and general guide (for offices and buildings)

                            http://www.yuanzs.com/english/fengshui2.htm
                            http://www.yuanzs.com/english/fengshui3.htm
                            http://www.yuanzs.com/english/fengshui4.htm

                            here's a link to one feng shui book

                            Feng Shui Strategies for Business Success: Arranging Your Office for Success
                            & Prosperity with Personalized Astrological Charts
                            A useful guide for achieving success in Business. Simons, a feng shui master
                            & astrologer, provides the date-of-birth charts to help individuals to
                            personal guidance on career tactics and work space arrangements leading to
                            success.

                            http://www.asianconnections.com/books_video/FengShui/FSSFBS-simons/fssfbs-si
                            mons.html

                            i haven't read it though (i've only got french feng shui books :o( )

                            a++ cedric
                          • Kent Beck
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 2 8:32 AM
                              I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                              architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                              Kent
                            • Frank McGeough
                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 2 8:55 AM
                                Our original office was organized where you saw another person if you looked
                                up from your work. Everyone disliked it. My ideal environment looks a lot
                                like my house (funny how that worked out). There are completely private
                                spaces. There are total communal spaces and there are spaces that hold 2 or
                                3 people ideally. I move between those spaces depending on what I'm trying
                                to get done.
                              • Dustin Hodge
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 2 9:00 AM

                                  I hope this doesn't turn into a discussion on what constitutes architecture or if feng shui should be considered an engineering practice.

                                    Kent Beck <kentbeck@...> wrote:

                                  I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                  architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                  Kent

                                  Do You Yahoo!?

                                • Bram Cohen
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 2 9:10 AM
                                    On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Kent Beck wrote:

                                    > I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                    > architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                    According to Peopleware, people are much more productive when they have
                                    objects in the distance for their eyes to wander over during idle
                                    moments. It's also much better for your eyes.

                                    Also, people can talk to each other and interact while facing each other,
                                    which they really really don't do while all facing the walls.

                                    Finally, people are much mare relaxed when they don't feel that people
                                    might be looking over their shoulder judging if they're working enough at
                                    every moment. Management often specifically wants desks facing the wall so
                                    that they can do this. I don't work at such companies any more.

                                    -Bram Cohen
                                  • Phlip
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 2 9:21 AM
                                      From: "Kent Beck"

                                      > I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                      > architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                      Communication.

                                      Humans communicate with humans first. If they'r all around a single huge
                                      desk (per the blueprint at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AllEngineersInOneRoom ),
                                      then they can instantly see, say, a furrowed brow across the room. This is
                                      more useful than seeing the back of a head and a helplessly blinking cursor
                                      across the room.

                                      Phlip
                                    • Marco Dorantes
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 2 10:00 AM
                                        Yes, I think monitors face the middle is best, that way you don't get hurt
                                        by high-emissions from the monitors rear.

                                        Marco

                                        >From: Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
                                        >To: extremeprogramming@egroups.com
                                        >Subject: Re: [XP] Monitors Face the Middle or Face the Wall?
                                        >Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:41:13 -0400
                                        >
                                        >My strong opinion:
                                        >
                                        >Face the middle, it facilitates communication and back-to-the-wall protects
                                        >you from being stabbed in the back.

                                        >I could be Ron, of course. (*)
                                        >
                                        >* Thanks to Dave Thomas for this formulation.
                                        >
                                        >At 07:26 PM 8/1/2000 +0000, Kevin Lewis wrote:
                                        > >Some time ago there was a discussion about "Office Space Layout", and
                                        > >Ken Auer posted a diagram of his XP studio (which I appreciate
                                        > >greatly):
                                        > >
                                        > >http://www.egroups.com/message/extremeprogramming/7195
                                        > >
                                        > >I was looking at this, and I was thinking that I would rather have
                                        > >exactly the opposite layout: I'd like people to be facing the walls
                                        > >most of the time, but be able to turn around into the empty center of
                                        > >the room and talk to other people face-to-face. I think even
                                        > >computer
                                        > >monitors sit too high to allow people to be able to talk to each
                                        > >other
                                        > >effectively.
                                        > >
                                        > >I think this can be done and still leave plenty of white-board room.
                                        > >Maybe < half of the walls for stations, < half for white-boards (the
                                        > >rest for those pesky doors).
                                        > >
                                        > >What do you all think of Ken's layout v. what I just described? I'd
                                        > >appreciate opinions on this. We are about to start rearranging
                                        > >several areas, each with different kinds of furniture.
                                        > >
                                        > >Thanks.
                                        > >
                                        > >--
                                        > >Kevin Lewis
                                        > >Middle-Reliever
                                        > >Axys Solutions
                                        > >http://www.AxysSolutions.com/

                                        > >Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                                        >

                                        >Ron Jeffries
                                        >www.XProgramming.com

                                        >Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

                                      • Kevin Lewis
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 2 10:10 AM
                                          --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Bram Cohen <BRAM@G...> wrote:
                                          > On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Kent Beck wrote:
                                          >
                                          > According to Peopleware, people are much more productive when they
                                          have
                                          > objects in the distance for their eyes to wander over during idle
                                          > moments. It's also much better for your eyes.

                                          Cool.

                                          > Also, people can talk to each other and interact while facing each
                                          other,
                                          > which they really really don't do while all facing the walls.

                                          I don't think this can happen because monitors block your vision. If
                                          the center of the room is empty, you can turn around and face people
                                          without any obstruction.

                                          > Finally, people are much mare relaxed when they don't feel that
                                          people
                                          > might be looking over their shoulder judging if they're working
                                          enough at
                                          > every moment. Management often specifically wants desks facing the
                                          wall so
                                          > that they can do this. I don't work at such companies any more.

                                          I can see that. I guess I'm just used to being in bad locations.

                                          Having everyone facing the center of the room just seems problematic
                                          for communication. But maybe the positives outweigh this one
                                          negative.

                                          Thanks.

                                          -Kevin
                                        • Kevin Lewis
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 2 10:16 AM
                                            --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Phlip" <phlip@p...> wrote:

                                            > Communication.
                                            >
                                            > Humans communicate with humans first. If they'r all around a single
                                            huge
                                            > desk (per the blueprint at
                                            http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AllEngineersInOneRoom ),
                                            > then they can instantly see, say, a furrowed brow across the room.
                                            This is
                                            > more useful than seeing the back of a head and a helplessly
                                            blinking
                                            cursor
                                            > across the room.

                                            But you don't. You may be able to see the person sitting next to
                                            you on your right or left, but you can't see the person sitting
                                            across from you unless you both move, or you are both tall enough to
                                            see clearly over the monitors.

                                            If everyone faces the walls, and the center of the room is open, you
                                            can turn around and say, "Hey, Pete", and Pete will turn around and
                                            you can have an unobstructed conversation. If Pete then needs to ask
                                            a question of Molly, then Molly can turn around, and you, Pete and
                                            Molly can all see each other and talk.

                                            Am I missing something, here?

                                            -Kevin
                                          • Couball, James
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 2 10:38 AM
                                              Not that I want to be the standard bearer for Fung Shui, but I found more
                                              explaination at http://homearts.com/depts/home/03fengb1.htm. The fourth
                                              page in this series starts to get into office Fung Shui. My view of Fung
                                              Shui is that someone codified what felt right (like having your back to the
                                              wall).

                                              You probably require more depth that what is in the site I mentioned, but it
                                              is a start. Fung Shui can really help your environment. I was very
                                              skeptical at first (and still don't understand most of the underlying
                                              reasons), but the results where I have applied it made me a believer.

                                              Sincerely,
                                              James.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 2 10:51 AM
                                                The real answer is that facing each other, no one can turn around and look
                                                at your screen during a multiplayer game. I'm notorious for cheating at
                                                Tribes in this manner.

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 2 11:06 AM
                                                  Try it each way for one iteration, then compare. Please report the results
                                                  of your experiment here.

                                                  Kent
                                                • Kevin Smith
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 4 8:16 PM
                                                    >My personal choice would be for the monitors to be placed sideways, with
                                                    >people sitting side-on to the wall - so that when you're working you can
                                                    >look to one side out of a window (to help your eyes refocus and relax), and
                                                    >look to the other side in towards the office.

                                                    This sounds reasonable. Someone else mentioned that you don't want to look
                                                    above your monitor and see someone staring at you. Also reasonable. Sounds
                                                    like:

                                                    d|d
                                                    d d
                                                    - -
                                                    d d
                                                    d|d

                                                    ...where | is a 4' partition, and d is a 2-person table/desk, where people
                                                    sit facing the partition.

                                                    This does not promote spotting puzzled looks on other folks' faces, but is
                                                    open enough not to discourage it either.

                                                    Thoughts?

                                                    Kevin