Re: [XP] Monitors Face the Middle or Face the Wall?

  • Mark Wilden
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
      > From: Ron Jeffries [mailto:ronjeffries@...]
      >
      > Face the middle, it facilitates communication and back-to-the-wall
      protects
      > you from being stabbed in the back.

      The extremely defensive learn to detect the slightest motion in the
      reflection in the monitor...
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
        At 02:33 PM 8/1/2000 -0700, Couball, James wrote:

        >Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).

        Got a pointer to the specifics? Might be useful. Wonder if Alexander spoke
        to the issue? Patterns guys?

      • Eric Hodges
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
          If you see reflections in the monitor your ambient light levels are too
          high. Auto parts stores sell a large multi-facted rear view mirror that can
          provide near 180 degree vision behind you.

          They also sell turn signal kits (good for letting your partner know if
          you're about to take a wild turn) and air horn kits (good for letting the
          room know you're just about to fart.)

        • Dave Thomas
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
            "Couball, James" <jcouball@...> writes:

            > Back to the wall is good Fung Shui

            Good in prison, too...
          • Johannes Brodwall
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
              > From: Mark Wilden [mailto:mark@...]
              >
              > > From: Ron Jeffries [mailto:ronjeffries@...]
              > >
              > > Face the middle, it facilitates communication and back-to-the-wall
              > > protects you from being stabbed in the back.
              >
              > The extremely defensive learn to detect the slightest motion in the
              > reflection in the monitor...

              Is this what is commonly known as "defensive programming" ;-) (Remember to
              keep your nerf gun close at hand)

              j'hannes
            • Mark Wilden
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
                From: "Eric Hodges" <eric.hodges@...>
                > air horn kits (good for letting the room know you're just about to fart.)

                Yet I can achieve (almost) the same results without the air horn...
              • Erik Meade
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
                  Chimp has invisible monkey powers!

                  http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/bazaar/mart/cart.cgi?action=view&type=item&it
                  emid=2940
                  ( watch the word wrap on the url )

                  Erik

                  If you see reflections in the monitor your ambient light levels are too
                  high. Auto parts stores sell a large multi-facted rear view mirror that can
                  provide near 180 degree vision behind you.

                  They also sell turn signal kits (good for letting your partner know if
                  you're about to take a wild turn) and air horn kits (good for letting the
                  room know you're just about to fart.)

                • Cedric ROUVRAIS
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                    in general i've noticed that people like to have a wall behind them. not for
                    the being stabbed in the back thing (well maybe)
                    it's just that when they have a wall behind them they aren't under the
                    impression that big brother is watching you.
                    facing the wall the guy is itchy ...
                    where i work the desks that are prefered are the ones against the wall or
                    against the window.
                    the most despized desk is the one where the screen is facing the door.
                    nobody wants to go there, if someone has to go there he'll always try to
                    turn the screen (or the desk)

                    as a general thumb rule i've noticed that feng shui works nicely: it is the
                    art of getting a good karma in the room. i don't think it's some mystic art,
                    it's just a study of human behaviour IMHO, and they got it right.

                    a++ cedric
                  • David Dickinson
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                      Alexander wrote an article on office and workspace layout which I did have a
                      URL for - I will try and track it down again if anyone's interested.

                      My personal choice would be for the monitors to be placed sideways, with
                      people sitting side-on to the wall - so that when you're working you can
                      look to one side out of a window (to help your eyes refocus and relax), and
                      look to the other side in towards the office.

                      Of course, this supposes you're in a decent office with windows to the
                      outside world!

                      Christopher Alexander covers workspaces/offices to good effect in "A Pattern
                      Language - Towns, Buildings, Construction".
                      Relevant patterns (just a short selection of the most significant) :
                      82 - Office connections
                      83 - Master and apprentices
                      146 - Flexible office space
                      148 - Small work groups
                      151 - Small meeting rooms
                      152 - Half-private office
                      159 - Light on two sides of every room
                      205 - Structure follows social spaces

                      The idea of "half-private" office/work space is important (IMO) - so that
                      you can work individually or in pairs without unduly disturbing others, but
                      still be aware of what is happening in the larger office space, and have
                      easy access to peers for questions/chats. Most office space that I've
                      experienced has been appallingly badly designed - more akin to
                      battery-farming of livestock than a comfortable environment for creative,
                      intellectually challenging work.

                      Of course, the most important pattern (which should be made mandatory for
                      inclusion in all offices) is no. 90 - Beer Hall...

                      David.
                    • Bill dehOra
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                        >>Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).
                        >
                        >Got a pointer to the specifics? Might be useful. Wonder if
                        >Alexander spoke to the issue? Patterns guys?

                        It's basic psychology. People don't like having their backs exposed (you
                        can't see there, so it's dangerous). Personal space is egg shaped, narrowing
                        at the front and sides, more distance required at the back. The size of the
                        egg varies from culture to culture, not unlike arm gesticulations. For
                        similar reasons, people prefer to have doors to the front.

                        -Bill de hÓra
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                          At 01:26 PM 8/2/2000 +0100, Bill dehOra wrote:
                          > >>Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).
                          > >
                          > >Got a pointer to the specifics? Might be useful. ...
                          >
                          >It's basic psychology.

                          With which, of course, we are all intimately familiar from our graduate
                          work. I know *I* don't like my back to the room, but the reasons in my case
                          are obvious. Someone really MIGHT kill me. ;->

                          I was asking, however, for a specific pointer to Feng Shui's sayings on
                          facing the room, as I thought it might be interesting. So far no one has
                          come up with that.

                        • Bill dehOra
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                            >I was asking, however, for a specific pointer to Feng Shui's
                            >sayings on
                            >facing the room, as I thought it might be interesting. So far
                            >no one has come up with that.

                            My fiance conjectures that energy flow into the back is bad feng shui.
                            Specifics pointers to follow...

                            -Bill de hÓra
                          • Cedric ROUVRAIS
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                              > I was asking, however, for a specific pointer to Feng Shui's sayings on
                              > facing the room, as I thought it might be interesting. So far no one has
                              > come up with that.

                              sorry ron, i was too busy laughing @ your beanie thing

                              i'd take a look at 2 first. it's light, but i haven't got much in english,
                              sorry.
                              however if you're willing to pay (books or online service there's much more
                              as usual)

                              1/
                              http://www.pleasantconcepts.com/instantsolutions/fengshui/office/office.htm

                              2/ http://www.queen-fengshui.com/office.html

                              3/ www.access-a.com.au/fengshui/office.htm

                              4.a/ http://www.fengshuihelp.com/rearview.htm
                              4.b/ http://www.fengshuihelp.com/visioninoffice.htm

                              a more complete and general guide (for offices and buildings)

                              http://www.yuanzs.com/english/fengshui2.htm
                              http://www.yuanzs.com/english/fengshui3.htm
                              http://www.yuanzs.com/english/fengshui4.htm

                              here's a link to one feng shui book

                              Feng Shui Strategies for Business Success: Arranging Your Office for Success
                              & Prosperity with Personalized Astrological Charts
                              A useful guide for achieving success in Business. Simons, a feng shui master
                              & astrologer, provides the date-of-birth charts to help individuals to
                              personal guidance on career tactics and work space arrangements leading to
                              success.

                              http://www.asianconnections.com/books_video/FengShui/FSSFBS-simons/fssfbs-si
                              mons.html

                              i haven't read it though (i've only got french feng shui books :o( )

                              a++ cedric
                            • Kent Beck
                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                Kent
                              • Frank McGeough
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                  Our original office was organized where you saw another person if you looked
                                  up from your work. Everyone disliked it. My ideal environment looks a lot
                                  like my house (funny how that worked out). There are completely private
                                  spaces. There are total communal spaces and there are spaces that hold 2 or
                                  3 people ideally. I move between those spaces depending on what I'm trying
                                  to get done.
                                • Dustin Hodge
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000

                                    I hope this doesn't turn into a discussion on what constitutes architecture or if feng shui should be considered an engineering practice.

                                      Kent Beck <kentbeck@...> wrote:

                                    I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                    architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                    Kent

                                    Do You Yahoo!?

                                  • Bram Cohen
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                      On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Kent Beck wrote:

                                      > I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                      > architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                      According to Peopleware, people are much more productive when they have
                                      objects in the distance for their eyes to wander over during idle
                                      moments. It's also much better for your eyes.

                                      Also, people can talk to each other and interact while facing each other,
                                      which they really really don't do while all facing the walls.

                                      Finally, people are much mare relaxed when they don't feel that people
                                      might be looking over their shoulder judging if they're working enough at
                                      every moment. Management often specifically wants desks facing the wall so
                                      that they can do this. I don't work at such companies any more.

                                      -Bram Cohen
                                    • Phlip
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                        From: "Kent Beck"

                                        > I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                        > architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                        Communication.

                                        Humans communicate with humans first. If they'r all around a single huge
                                        desk (per the blueprint at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AllEngineersInOneRoom ),
                                        then they can instantly see, say, a furrowed brow across the room. This is
                                        more useful than seeing the back of a head and a helplessly blinking cursor
                                        across the room.

                                        Phlip
                                      • Marco Dorantes
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                          Yes, I think monitors face the middle is best, that way you don't get hurt
                                          by high-emissions from the monitors rear.

                                          Marco

                                          >From: Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
                                          >To: extremeprogramming@egroups.com
                                          >Subject: Re: [XP] Monitors Face the Middle or Face the Wall?
                                          >Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:41:13 -0400
                                          >
                                          >My strong opinion:
                                          >
                                          >Face the middle, it facilitates communication and back-to-the-wall protects
                                          >you from being stabbed in the back.

                                          >I could be Ron, of course. (*)
                                          >
                                          >* Thanks to Dave Thomas for this formulation.
                                          >
                                          >At 07:26 PM 8/1/2000 +0000, Kevin Lewis wrote:
                                          > >Some time ago there was a discussion about "Office Space Layout", and
                                          > >Ken Auer posted a diagram of his XP studio (which I appreciate
                                          > >greatly):
                                          > >
                                          > >http://www.egroups.com/message/extremeprogramming/7195
                                          > >
                                          > >I was looking at this, and I was thinking that I would rather have
                                          > >exactly the opposite layout: I'd like people to be facing the walls
                                          > >most of the time, but be able to turn around into the empty center of
                                          > >the room and talk to other people face-to-face. I think even
                                          > >computer
                                          > >monitors sit too high to allow people to be able to talk to each
                                          > >other
                                          > >effectively.
                                          > >
                                          > >I think this can be done and still leave plenty of white-board room.
                                          > >Maybe < half of the walls for stations, < half for white-boards (the
                                          > >rest for those pesky doors).
                                          > >
                                          > >What do you all think of Ken's layout v. what I just described? I'd
                                          > >appreciate opinions on this. We are about to start rearranging
                                          > >several areas, each with different kinds of furniture.
                                          > >
                                          > >Thanks.
                                          > >
                                          > >--
                                          > >Kevin Lewis
                                          > >Middle-Reliever
                                          > >Axys Solutions
                                          > >http://www.AxysSolutions.com/

                                          > >Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                                          >

                                          >Ron Jeffries
                                          >www.XProgramming.com

                                          >Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

                                        • Kevin Lewis
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                            --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Bram Cohen <BRAM@G...> wrote:
                                            > On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Kent Beck wrote:
                                            >
                                            > According to Peopleware, people are much more productive when they
                                            have
                                            > objects in the distance for their eyes to wander over during idle
                                            > moments. It's also much better for your eyes.

                                            Cool.

                                            > Also, people can talk to each other and interact while facing each
                                            other,
                                            > which they really really don't do while all facing the walls.

                                            I don't think this can happen because monitors block your vision. If
                                            the center of the room is empty, you can turn around and face people
                                            without any obstruction.

                                            > Finally, people are much mare relaxed when they don't feel that
                                            people
                                            > might be looking over their shoulder judging if they're working
                                            enough at
                                            > every moment. Management often specifically wants desks facing the
                                            wall so
                                            > that they can do this. I don't work at such companies any more.

                                            I can see that. I guess I'm just used to being in bad locations.

                                            Having everyone facing the center of the room just seems problematic
                                            for communication. But maybe the positives outweigh this one
                                            negative.

                                            Thanks.

                                            -Kevin
                                          • Kevin Lewis
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                              --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Phlip" <phlip@p...> wrote:

                                              > Communication.
                                              >
                                              > Humans communicate with humans first. If they'r all around a single
                                              huge
                                              > desk (per the blueprint at
                                              http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AllEngineersInOneRoom ),
                                              > then they can instantly see, say, a furrowed brow across the room.
                                              This is
                                              > more useful than seeing the back of a head and a helplessly
                                              blinking
                                              cursor
                                              > across the room.

                                              But you don't. You may be able to see the person sitting next to
                                              you on your right or left, but you can't see the person sitting
                                              across from you unless you both move, or you are both tall enough to
                                              see clearly over the monitors.

                                              If everyone faces the walls, and the center of the room is open, you
                                              can turn around and say, "Hey, Pete", and Pete will turn around and
                                              you can have an unobstructed conversation. If Pete then needs to ask
                                              a question of Molly, then Molly can turn around, and you, Pete and
                                              Molly can all see each other and talk.

                                              Am I missing something, here?

                                              -Kevin
                                            • Couball, James
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                                Not that I want to be the standard bearer for Fung Shui, but I found more
                                                explaination at http://homearts.com/depts/home/03fengb1.htm. The fourth
                                                page in this series starts to get into office Fung Shui. My view of Fung
                                                Shui is that someone codified what felt right (like having your back to the
                                                wall).

                                                You probably require more depth that what is in the site I mentioned, but it
                                                is a start. Fung Shui can really help your environment. I was very
                                                skeptical at first (and still don't understand most of the underlying
                                                reasons), but the results where I have applied it made me a believer.

                                                Sincerely,
                                                James.

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                                  The real answer is that facing each other, no one can turn around and look
                                                  at your screen during a multiplayer game. I'm notorious for cheating at
                                                  Tribes in this manner.

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                                    Try it each way for one iteration, then compare. Please report the results
                                                    of your experiment here.

                                                    Kent
                                                  • Kevin Smith
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Aug 4, 2000
                                                      >My personal choice would be for the monitors to be placed sideways, with
                                                      >people sitting side-on to the wall - so that when you're working you can
                                                      >look to one side out of a window (to help your eyes refocus and relax), and
                                                      >look to the other side in towards the office.

                                                      This sounds reasonable. Someone else mentioned that you don't want to look
                                                      above your monitor and see someone staring at you. Also reasonable. Sounds
                                                      like:

                                                      d|d
                                                      d d
                                                      - -
                                                      d d
                                                      d|d

                                                      ...where | is a 4' partition, and d is a 2-person table/desk, where people
                                                      sit facing the partition.

                                                      This does not promote spotting puzzled looks on other folks' faces, but is
                                                      open enough not to discourage it either.

                                                      Thoughts?

                                                      Kevin