Monitors Face the Middle or Face the Wall?

  • Kevin Lewis
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
      Some time ago there was a discussion about "Office Space Layout", and
      Ken Auer posted a diagram of his XP studio (which I appreciate
      greatly):

      http://www.egroups.com/message/extremeprogramming/7195

      I was looking at this, and I was thinking that I would rather have
      exactly the opposite layout: I'd like people to be facing the walls
      most of the time, but be able to turn around into the empty center of
      the room and talk to other people face-to-face. I think even
      computer
      monitors sit too high to allow people to be able to talk to each
      other
      effectively.

      I think this can be done and still leave plenty of white-board room.
      Maybe < half of the walls for stations, < half for white-boards (the
      rest for those pesky doors).

      What do you all think of Ken's layout v. what I just described? I'd
      appreciate opinions on this. We are about to start rearranging
      several areas, each with different kinds of furniture.

      Thanks.

      --
      Kevin Lewis
      Middle-Reliever
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
        My strong opinion:

        Face the middle, it facilitates communication and back-to-the-wall protects
        you from being stabbed in the back.

        I could be Ron, of course. (*)

        * Thanks to Dave Thomas for this formulation.

        At 07:26 PM 8/1/2000 +0000, Kevin Lewis wrote:
        >Some time ago there was a discussion about "Office Space Layout", and
        >Ken Auer posted a diagram of his XP studio (which I appreciate
        >greatly):
        >
        >http://www.egroups.com/message/extremeprogramming/7195
        >
        >I was looking at this, and I was thinking that I would rather have
        >exactly the opposite layout: I'd like people to be facing the walls
        >most of the time, but be able to turn around into the empty center of
        >the room and talk to other people face-to-face. I think even
        >computer
        >monitors sit too high to allow people to be able to talk to each
        >other
        >effectively.
        >
        >I think this can be done and still leave plenty of white-board room.
        >Maybe < half of the walls for stations, < half for white-boards (the
        >rest for those pesky doors).
        >
        >What do you all think of Ken's layout v. what I just described? I'd
        >appreciate opinions on this. We are about to start rearranging
        >several areas, each with different kinds of furniture.
        >
        >Thanks.
        >
        >--
        >Kevin Lewis
        >Middle-Reliever
        >Axys Solutions
        >http://www.AxysSolutions.com/

        >Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

      • Couball, James
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
          Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).

          Sincerely,
          James.

          Face the middle, it facilitates communication and back-to-the-wall protects
          you from being stabbed in the back.

          I could be Ron, of course. (*)

          * Thanks to Dave Thomas for this formulation.

          At 07:26 PM 8/1/2000 +0000, Kevin Lewis wrote:
          >Some time ago there was a discussion about "Office Space Layout", and
          >Ken Auer posted a diagram of his XP studio (which I appreciate
          >greatly):
          >
          >http://www.egroups.com/message/extremeprogramming/7195
          >
          >I was looking at this, and I was thinking that I would rather have
          >exactly the opposite layout: I'd like people to be facing the walls
          >most of the time, but be able to turn around into the empty center of
          >the room and talk to other people face-to-face. I think even
          >computer
          >monitors sit too high to allow people to be able to talk to each
          >other
          >effectively.
          >
          >I think this can be done and still leave plenty of white-board room.
          >Maybe < half of the walls for stations, < half for white-boards (the
          >rest for those pesky doors).
          >
          >What do you all think of Ken's layout v. what I just described? I'd
          >appreciate opinions on this. We are about to start rearranging
          >several areas, each with different kinds of furniture.
          >
          >Thanks.
          >
          >--
          >Kevin Lewis
          >Middle-Reliever
          >Axys Solutions
          >http://www.AxysSolutions.com/

          >Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

          Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
        • Mark Wilden
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
            > From: Ron Jeffries [mailto:ronjeffries@...]
            >
            > Face the middle, it facilitates communication and back-to-the-wall
            protects
            > you from being stabbed in the back.

            The extremely defensive learn to detect the slightest motion in the
            reflection in the monitor...
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
              At 02:33 PM 8/1/2000 -0700, Couball, James wrote:

              >Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).

              Got a pointer to the specifics? Might be useful. Wonder if Alexander spoke
              to the issue? Patterns guys?

            • Eric Hodges
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
                If you see reflections in the monitor your ambient light levels are too
                high. Auto parts stores sell a large multi-facted rear view mirror that can
                provide near 180 degree vision behind you.

                They also sell turn signal kits (good for letting your partner know if
                you're about to take a wild turn) and air horn kits (good for letting the
                room know you're just about to fart.)

              • Dave Thomas
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
                  "Couball, James" <jcouball@...> writes:

                  > Back to the wall is good Fung Shui

                  Good in prison, too...
                • Johannes Brodwall
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
                    > From: Mark Wilden [mailto:mark@...]
                    >
                    > > From: Ron Jeffries [mailto:ronjeffries@...]
                    > >
                    > > Face the middle, it facilitates communication and back-to-the-wall
                    > > protects you from being stabbed in the back.
                    >
                    > The extremely defensive learn to detect the slightest motion in the
                    > reflection in the monitor...

                    Is this what is commonly known as "defensive programming" ;-) (Remember to
                    keep your nerf gun close at hand)

                    j'hannes
                  • Mark Wilden
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
                      From: "Eric Hodges" <eric.hodges@...>
                      > air horn kits (good for letting the room know you're just about to fart.)

                      Yet I can achieve (almost) the same results without the air horn...
                    • Erik Meade
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
                        Chimp has invisible monkey powers!

                        http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/bazaar/mart/cart.cgi?action=view&type=item&it
                        emid=2940
                        ( watch the word wrap on the url )

                        Erik

                        If you see reflections in the monitor your ambient light levels are too
                        high. Auto parts stores sell a large multi-facted rear view mirror that can
                        provide near 180 degree vision behind you.

                        They also sell turn signal kits (good for letting your partner know if
                        you're about to take a wild turn) and air horn kits (good for letting the
                        room know you're just about to fart.)

                      • Cedric ROUVRAIS
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                          in general i've noticed that people like to have a wall behind them. not for
                          the being stabbed in the back thing (well maybe)
                          it's just that when they have a wall behind them they aren't under the
                          impression that big brother is watching you.
                          facing the wall the guy is itchy ...
                          where i work the desks that are prefered are the ones against the wall or
                          against the window.
                          the most despized desk is the one where the screen is facing the door.
                          nobody wants to go there, if someone has to go there he'll always try to
                          turn the screen (or the desk)

                          as a general thumb rule i've noticed that feng shui works nicely: it is the
                          art of getting a good karma in the room. i don't think it's some mystic art,
                          it's just a study of human behaviour IMHO, and they got it right.

                          a++ cedric
                        • David Dickinson
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                            Alexander wrote an article on office and workspace layout which I did have a
                            URL for - I will try and track it down again if anyone's interested.

                            My personal choice would be for the monitors to be placed sideways, with
                            people sitting side-on to the wall - so that when you're working you can
                            look to one side out of a window (to help your eyes refocus and relax), and
                            look to the other side in towards the office.

                            Of course, this supposes you're in a decent office with windows to the
                            outside world!

                            Christopher Alexander covers workspaces/offices to good effect in "A Pattern
                            Language - Towns, Buildings, Construction".
                            Relevant patterns (just a short selection of the most significant) :
                            82 - Office connections
                            83 - Master and apprentices
                            146 - Flexible office space
                            148 - Small work groups
                            151 - Small meeting rooms
                            152 - Half-private office
                            159 - Light on two sides of every room
                            205 - Structure follows social spaces

                            The idea of "half-private" office/work space is important (IMO) - so that
                            you can work individually or in pairs without unduly disturbing others, but
                            still be aware of what is happening in the larger office space, and have
                            easy access to peers for questions/chats. Most office space that I've
                            experienced has been appallingly badly designed - more akin to
                            battery-farming of livestock than a comfortable environment for creative,
                            intellectually challenging work.

                            Of course, the most important pattern (which should be made mandatory for
                            inclusion in all offices) is no. 90 - Beer Hall...

                            David.
                          • Bill dehOra
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                              >>Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).
                              >
                              >Got a pointer to the specifics? Might be useful. Wonder if
                              >Alexander spoke to the issue? Patterns guys?

                              It's basic psychology. People don't like having their backs exposed (you
                              can't see there, so it's dangerous). Personal space is egg shaped, narrowing
                              at the front and sides, more distance required at the back. The size of the
                              egg varies from culture to culture, not unlike arm gesticulations. For
                              similar reasons, people prefer to have doors to the front.

                              -Bill de hÓra
                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                At 01:26 PM 8/2/2000 +0100, Bill dehOra wrote:
                                > >>Back to the wall is good Fung Shui (http://www.amfengshui.com/).
                                > >
                                > >Got a pointer to the specifics? Might be useful. ...
                                >
                                >It's basic psychology.

                                With which, of course, we are all intimately familiar from our graduate
                                work. I know *I* don't like my back to the room, but the reasons in my case
                                are obvious. Someone really MIGHT kill me. ;->

                                I was asking, however, for a specific pointer to Feng Shui's sayings on
                                facing the room, as I thought it might be interesting. So far no one has
                                come up with that.

                              • Bill dehOra
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                  >I was asking, however, for a specific pointer to Feng Shui's
                                  >sayings on
                                  >facing the room, as I thought it might be interesting. So far
                                  >no one has come up with that.

                                  My fiance conjectures that energy flow into the back is bad feng shui.
                                  Specifics pointers to follow...

                                  -Bill de hÓra
                                • Cedric ROUVRAIS
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                    > I was asking, however, for a specific pointer to Feng Shui's sayings on
                                    > facing the room, as I thought it might be interesting. So far no one has
                                    > come up with that.

                                    sorry ron, i was too busy laughing @ your beanie thing

                                    i'd take a look at 2 first. it's light, but i haven't got much in english,
                                    sorry.
                                    however if you're willing to pay (books or online service there's much more
                                    as usual)

                                    1/
                                    http://www.pleasantconcepts.com/instantsolutions/fengshui/office/office.htm

                                    2/ http://www.queen-fengshui.com/office.html

                                    3/ www.access-a.com.au/fengshui/office.htm

                                    4.a/ http://www.fengshuihelp.com/rearview.htm
                                    4.b/ http://www.fengshuihelp.com/visioninoffice.htm

                                    a more complete and general guide (for offices and buildings)

                                    http://www.yuanzs.com/english/fengshui2.htm
                                    http://www.yuanzs.com/english/fengshui3.htm
                                    http://www.yuanzs.com/english/fengshui4.htm

                                    here's a link to one feng shui book

                                    Feng Shui Strategies for Business Success: Arranging Your Office for Success
                                    & Prosperity with Personalized Astrological Charts
                                    A useful guide for achieving success in Business. Simons, a feng shui master
                                    & astrologer, provides the date-of-birth charts to help individuals to
                                    personal guidance on career tactics and work space arrangements leading to
                                    success.

                                    http://www.asianconnections.com/books_video/FengShui/FSSFBS-simons/fssfbs-si
                                    mons.html

                                    i haven't read it though (i've only got french feng shui books :o( )

                                    a++ cedric
                                  • Kent Beck
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                      I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                      architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                      Kent
                                    • Frank McGeough
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                        Our original office was organized where you saw another person if you looked
                                        up from your work. Everyone disliked it. My ideal environment looks a lot
                                        like my house (funny how that worked out). There are completely private
                                        spaces. There are total communal spaces and there are spaces that hold 2 or
                                        3 people ideally. I move between those spaces depending on what I'm trying
                                        to get done.
                                      • Dustin Hodge
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000

                                          I hope this doesn't turn into a discussion on what constitutes architecture or if feng shui should be considered an engineering practice.

                                            Kent Beck <kentbeck@...> wrote:

                                          I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                          architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                          Kent

                                          Do You Yahoo!?

                                        • Bram Cohen
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                            On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Kent Beck wrote:

                                            > I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                            > architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                            According to Peopleware, people are much more productive when they have
                                            objects in the distance for their eyes to wander over during idle
                                            moments. It's also much better for your eyes.

                                            Also, people can talk to each other and interact while facing each other,
                                            which they really really don't do while all facing the walls.

                                            Finally, people are much mare relaxed when they don't feel that people
                                            might be looking over their shoulder judging if they're working enough at
                                            every moment. Management often specifically wants desks facing the wall so
                                            that they can do this. I don't work at such companies any more.

                                            -Bram Cohen
                                          • Phlip
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                              From: "Kent Beck"

                                              > I much prefer everyone facing each other, but I'm not sure why. Any
                                              > architects or feng shui geomancers out there care to explain?

                                              Communication.

                                              Humans communicate with humans first. If they'r all around a single huge
                                              desk (per the blueprint at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AllEngineersInOneRoom ),
                                              then they can instantly see, say, a furrowed brow across the room. This is
                                              more useful than seeing the back of a head and a helplessly blinking cursor
                                              across the room.

                                              Phlip
                                            • Marco Dorantes
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                                Yes, I think monitors face the middle is best, that way you don't get hurt
                                                by high-emissions from the monitors rear.

                                                Marco

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                                  --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Bram Cohen <BRAM@G...> wrote:
                                                  > On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Kent Beck wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > According to Peopleware, people are much more productive when they
                                                  have
                                                  > objects in the distance for their eyes to wander over during idle
                                                  > moments. It's also much better for your eyes.

                                                  Cool.

                                                  > Also, people can talk to each other and interact while facing each
                                                  other,
                                                  > which they really really don't do while all facing the walls.

                                                  I don't think this can happen because monitors block your vision. If
                                                  the center of the room is empty, you can turn around and face people
                                                  without any obstruction.

                                                  > Finally, people are much mare relaxed when they don't feel that
                                                  people
                                                  > might be looking over their shoulder judging if they're working
                                                  enough at
                                                  > every moment. Management often specifically wants desks facing the
                                                  wall so
                                                  > that they can do this. I don't work at such companies any more.

                                                  I can see that. I guess I'm just used to being in bad locations.

                                                  Having everyone facing the center of the room just seems problematic
                                                  for communication. But maybe the positives outweigh this one
                                                  negative.

                                                  Thanks.

                                                  -Kevin
                                                • Kevin Lewis
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                                    --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Phlip" <phlip@p...> wrote:

                                                    > Communication.
                                                    >
                                                    > Humans communicate with humans first. If they'r all around a single
                                                    huge
                                                    > desk (per the blueprint at
                                                    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AllEngineersInOneRoom ),
                                                    > then they can instantly see, say, a furrowed brow across the room.
                                                    This is
                                                    > more useful than seeing the back of a head and a helplessly
                                                    blinking
                                                    cursor
                                                    > across the room.

                                                    But you don't. You may be able to see the person sitting next to
                                                    you on your right or left, but you can't see the person sitting
                                                    across from you unless you both move, or you are both tall enough to
                                                    see clearly over the monitors.

                                                    If everyone faces the walls, and the center of the room is open, you
                                                    can turn around and say, "Hey, Pete", and Pete will turn around and
                                                    you can have an unobstructed conversation. If Pete then needs to ask
                                                    a question of Molly, then Molly can turn around, and you, Pete and
                                                    Molly can all see each other and talk.

                                                    Am I missing something, here?

                                                    -Kevin
                                                  • Couball, James
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                                      Not that I want to be the standard bearer for Fung Shui, but I found more
                                                      explaination at http://homearts.com/depts/home/03fengb1.htm. The fourth
                                                      page in this series starts to get into office Fung Shui. My view of Fung
                                                      Shui is that someone codified what felt right (like having your back to the
                                                      wall).

                                                      You probably require more depth that what is in the site I mentioned, but it
                                                      is a start. Fung Shui can really help your environment. I was very
                                                      skeptical at first (and still don't understand most of the underlying
                                                      reasons), but the results where I have applied it made me a believer.

                                                      Sincerely,
                                                      James.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                                        The real answer is that facing each other, no one can turn around and look
                                                        at your screen during a multiplayer game. I'm notorious for cheating at
                                                        Tribes in this manner.

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 2, 2000
                                                          Try it each way for one iteration, then compare. Please report the results
                                                          of your experiment here.

                                                          Kent
                                                        • Kevin Smith
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Aug 4, 2000
                                                            >My personal choice would be for the monitors to be placed sideways, with
                                                            >people sitting side-on to the wall - so that when you're working you can
                                                            >look to one side out of a window (to help your eyes refocus and relax), and
                                                            >look to the other side in towards the office.

                                                            This sounds reasonable. Someone else mentioned that you don't want to look
                                                            above your monitor and see someone staring at you. Also reasonable. Sounds
                                                            like:

                                                            d|d
                                                            d d
                                                            - -
                                                            d d
                                                            d|d

                                                            ...where | is a 4' partition, and d is a 2-person table/desk, where people
                                                            sit facing the partition.

                                                            This does not promote spotting puzzled looks on other folks' faces, but is
                                                            open enough not to discourage it either.

                                                            Thoughts?

                                                            Kevin