Re: [XP] It's not about speed.

  • Dustin Hodge
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 1, 2000

       >David Seibert <seibertron@...> wrote:

      >Programming is much more the "craft" and much less the "engineering"
      >practice. You should be happy with that.

      I feel that the public and individuals in other engineering fields are under the misconception that software Development is not an engineering field.

      I believe that this misconception occurs for a couple of reasons. Most everyone has a computer at home.

      People play around with them and feel comfortable with them. Many times familiarity gives a false sense of simplicity. A lot of people change the oil in their automobiles, but would never dream of performing maintenance on a nuclear reactor. However, that realization is lost when it comes to software development. A lot of people feel that writing a query in Access is just a little more simple than creating a distributed enterpise software package. This idea is also reenforced through publications. There are no books titled Teach yourself Thermal Propulsion in 21 days or Structural Integrity in Load Bearing Walls in 24 Hours.

      Since there is not a PE for Software Engineering many engineers in other fields actomatically dismiss SE. However, at one time there where not PEs for all of the other fields. The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology have approved many Computer programs and degree plans so it might only be a matter of time until there are official Software Engineers, but personally I feel that some changes need to be made for most of those programs.

      Do You Yahoo!?
    • Phlip
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 7, 2000
        From: "Georg Tuparev" <gtupar@...>

        > Once talking to a potential client (a dotcom company) I told them that if
        > we (the software folks) ware producing software with the quality of Bang
        > & Olufsen we had to make new releases every 3 years. They told me that TTM
        > is everything. This company is dead for a while ... Bang & Olufsen is
        > doing still well ;-)

        How long is 3 years in Internet startup company time?

        Phlip