RE: [XP] XPlanner

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2004
      lasse.koskela@... wrote:
      > Ilja:
      >> We currently have a Big Visible Chart in the team room, showing
      >> Number Of Unit Tests over time. Proved to be quite powerfull in our
      >> case.
      >
      > Ilja again:
      >> To be a little bit more specific, "our case" was that we felt we
      >> didn't write enough tests. The BVC was a big motivator for us.
      >
      > Was it more of a "blind" motivator (we gotta get this number
      > growing!) or a "relative" motivator (we gotta keep this
      > number inline with that other one)?

      More of a "blind" one.

      Again and again in iteration retrospectives we noticed that where we
      were writing unit tests, they helped very much, and where we didn't, it
      was likely to cause great pain. And that nevertheless we didn't write
      enough unit tests.

      So I lastly decided to put the BVC at the wall. At first, my coworkers
      questioned wether it would have any effect. Than they decided to augment
      it by a tally sheet on the white board, showing the number of unit tests
      implemented in the current iteration.

      The interplay of team members visibly going to the white board and
      triumphantly announcing a number of newly written tests, together with
      seeing the long term growth of number of tests as a graph, has worked
      wonders.

      Cheers, Ilja