Re: [XP] Plan things other than user stories

  • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2004
      From: "gscokart" <gilles.scokart.at.axa.be@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 10:16 AM
      Subject: [XP] Plan things other than user stories

      > From what I have undertsood, each iteration is planned by saying which
      > user story will be implemented. To make that, we estimate every task
      > required to implement the user story.

      Stories. Plural. You're heading for deep problems if individual stories will
      take longer than half the iteration for one pair.

      Most teams don't estimate tasks and roll them up to a story estimate.
      For one time or infrequent things like your data base upgrade, though,
      it's probably a good way to get the estimate.

      > But what happens when you have for example to upgrade to a new
      > database version. That could be a non trivial refactoring that will
      > take time. I guess they have to be integrated in the estimations, but
      > they are not linked to any user story, because he don't care about it.
      >
      > So how is it handled in XP? Do you have some task not attached to user
      > stories? or is there something I miss?

      Someone wants that upgrade. That someone is a stakeholder, although
      they may not be a customer in the traditional sense of the word. For
      example, the someone may be the corporate data center upgrading the
      mandated data base to a new release.

      The story is then: "Corporate data center mandated upgrade," and
      you schedule it like any other story. In other words, you keep
      yourself out of the conversation between the corporate data center
      and the paying customers, other than as a facilitator.

      John Roth

      > Gilles
    • Andy Pols
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2004
        > But what happens when you have for example to upgrade to a new
        > database version. That could be a non trivial refactoring that will
        > take time. I guess they have to be integrated in the estimations, but
        > they are not linked to any user story, because he don't care about it.

        I would create a development story for updating the database. That way
        you can estimate it and plan it in a planning game.

        Cheers
        Andy