Re: [XP] It's not about speed.

  • David Seibert
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 1, 2000
      >From: Eric Bennett <grimdenizen@...> wrote:

      >I suspect the nature of that difference is that in "mature" forms of
      >engineering
      >the abstractions used to do things are rather static. It is unlikely that
      >a new
      >kind of beam will be created for bridges which cannot be characterized the
      >same
      >way wooden beams and steel I-beams are done today. When you sit down to
      >make a
      >bridge you are using (a set of) very old designs. They are thinner /
      >stronger /
      >lighter because of spiffy new materials, but subject to the same set of
      >codified
      >rules as bridges of yore.

      In our line of work (mechanical engineering) there is NO level of
      abstraction. I believe this is the major difference in trying to model
      software engineering after mechanical or any other engineering practice.

      It's just not the same. You can use it as a metaphor, but little else.

      Programming is much more the "craft" and much less the "engineering"
      practice. You should be happy with that.

      Have fun,

      Dave

    • Phlip
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 7, 2000
        From: "Georg Tuparev" <gtupar@...>

        > Once talking to a potential client (a dotcom company) I told them that if
        > we (the software folks) ware producing software with the quality of Bang
        > & Olufsen we had to make new releases every 3 years. They told me that TTM
        > is everything. This company is dead for a while ... Bang & Olufsen is
        > doing still well ;-)

        How long is 3 years in Internet startup company time?

        Phlip